Peavey VTM 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VTM 60

I've read up on these but still can't solve the issue.

Preamp sounds OK but is humming. Going into effects return, guitar turns in a robot sound with a Univibe effect. Volts all look good. Speaker, which is main ground, was loose. I read some have rebuilt the PS board which I may have to do. Cap's lead were loose/cracked here prior. Swapped in good tubes everywhere. Main issue seems in the output section.
    OT primary= 142Ω. OT sec= .9Ω

Any ideas?peavey-vtm-60,-120.pdf

I'm surprised by the amazing design Peavey did on this.
    EDIT: The output heaters are now hard wired too. New PS caps ordered.
    Last edited by Guitarist; 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM.

To update: parts came in and I rebuilt the power supply including the diodes with FREDS. Soldered in preamp filter caps onto preamp board + made a few tweaks.
    Fired it up with light-bulb in series with AC cable and...it works! Very quite even with AC filaments (how?). Old caps felt very light and must've dried out completely causing no B+ reserves.

This amp kills and might just trump the Lee Jackson/ Ampeg VL of prior, wow Peavey 1987!

Comment

They do kill indeed. I bought one new in 1990. Still have it, but haven't used it in quite a few years. I need to dig it out and treat it to some fresh tubes.....
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Does this amp have some sort of DC elevation on the filaments? I'm not sure what that extra circuit in the PS is about.

Comment

Which "extra circuit"?
          For the top of the schematic:
          First transformer is for B+ Vdc.
          Second transformer is for C- (-56Vdc) & LED status indicators.
          Third transformer is for the heaters. (6.3Vac)

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
            Does this amp have some sort of DC elevation on the filaments? I'm not sure what that extra circuit in the PS is about.
            There is a "hum balance" ckt, but not elevated fils. THe hum balance acts like an adjustable center reference. You know the two 100Rs on the back of a Fender pilot light? Like that but adjustable for minimum hum.
            My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
            X