peavey mace power transformer failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey mace power transformer failure

hello first let me say thnx for the info that has already helped me this is the first time I have accualy had to post one of my problems to figure it out... I acquired a mace vt 212 combo and have put quite a bitt of work ,time,and cash into it ... New groove tubes recap job anyway..

the thing was a beast sounded like a dream come true and I never really got to blast it ... Well I had some tube covers off some old ward super airline /rca radios looked cool kinda like bullet hole heat guaurd on a gun or whatever I'm not sute but I think the vibration rubed a whole in a tube because got one jacked up tube and the power tranny is dead I guess becase I hit th standby whentbto store come back th house smells of burnt paper and wax.. The mace has a pool of wax from the tranny and poped fuse ... When I discovered tha tube problem I droped back to 4 and a new fuse kinda hopin for the best but all I get is another blown fuse

other than the wax and smell there seems to be no obvious damage... Any tips on testing or finding what I might need and not breaking tha bank would be much appreciated

oh yea the tubes has a pinhole and looks like a bb whent bouncing through tha guts of it ....

Are you positive the "goo" is from the power transformer?
    Not the big capacitors.
    What skill set do you have to bring to bear on this issue.
    There are some nasty voltages in the power supply.
    The power supply was obviously overloaded.
    That being the case, the power supply will have to be systematically checked for any & all faults.
    The transformer, if identified as faulty, is not going to be cheap.

Comment

yea I guess what I need is tips on testing the tranny

Comment

it's a crispy critter

poped the transformer open eewww that smell......
        peavy discontinued the replacement so anyone been through
        this that can point me inthe right.direction....

ohh and does anyone know the voltage to wire colors cuz I got a few trannys from tube tvs and such...

Comment

I hate to sound mean, but you're in way over your head if you think a tube TV transformer can be blindly substituted.

There probably is an aftermarket Hammond that would work (correct voltages and current supply) without costing a fortune. However, it is highly likely there are other serious issues with the amp now. A competent tech could sort it out, but the repair charge would be more than the amp is worth; a competent do-it-yourselfer could do it as well. Again, not trying to sound mean, but there's a basic level of electronics knowledge that's required, plus a certain level of troubleshooting and repair skills, and we can't teach that to you in a few short paragraphs on an Internet forum.

Comment

if I was gonna blindly do anything I wouldn't be asking about this and I'm not tryin to be an a** but instead of giving me discouraging overview about how the possabilities ... Y not point what you think I should check ... The same amount of effort could have helped me.... And I babyed this thing back to life I'm in it for about 400 already if I could save 100 on this would be great I'm pretty much gonna have to buy one I know that
            b

Comment

Contact Peavey, they will email you a schematic free of charge.

Then take an electronics course until you have learned what every symbol on that schematic means, and what each component on that schematic does--how it functions, what happens when that component works or doesn't work, how these circuits work. Then obtain suitable test gear, starting with a digital multimeter. Then start examining the circuitry and testing components as necessary until you have figured out why the power transformer burned out in the first place. Then replace the power transformer, as well as all defective components. Some serious testing will likely be required to determine what else is burnt up. If you replace the power transformer without solving the root cause, you will promptly burn up your new transformer.

By the way, a lot of this testing will be required while the amp is powered up. Did I mention that if you touch something wrong here, it can kill you? We are talking over 500 volts and more than enough current to cause your heart to stop beating.

This is a daunting task. You have really borked your amp, most likely.

Believe me, I would like to help, but there's limits to what we can advise.

Comment

peavey_mace_deuce_vt.pdf Try this schematic. - Pat.

Comment

Working...
                X