Blackheart LG Head - no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackheart LG Head - no sound

Hi all, been a member for a while but don't think I've ever posted - just reading all this great stuff. ;-)

Well, a buddy of mine asked me to look at his BH LG that doesn't produce any output - not a peep. Tubes light up, power is ok, everything seems fine - tubes have been swapped with known good ones - so that's not it. His input and output jacks are all ok (did cont checks with cables plugged in). Went through the thing with a DMM and did a voltage check: on the second gain stage plate I'm getting 10v at the plate - First stage was approx 174v and all other voltages all looked fine (tubes and Power supply - B+ through B+5). I wrote them down on the schematic but forgot it at home - I'll post them when I get home. When I say "fine", I should say without a reference they seemed reasonable for an amp of this design. That said, I was wondering if there were any reference voltages that I can check against since they aren't on the schematics or the layouts I have (PCB).

I'm going to try replacing the plate resistor (R.8) but I'm wondering if there is anything else that could have caused this situation that I ought to be on the lookout for.

My experience level is pretty much beginner to maybe advanced beginner - I've built 2 tube amps (both work great), an AX84 HO kit and a "custom" Firefly on tag-board (pretty much scratch built), third is a 5E3 (which is in progress) plus a few pedals. I think I have a pretty good grasp of the basics.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Bump

Comment

Replace R8.
      That is the plate resistor that has 10 volts on it, right.
      10 volts on any plate is not going to do much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Replace R8.
        That is the plate resistor that has 10 volts on it, right.
        10 volts on any plate is not going to do much.
        Thanks for the feedback. I'll do that but I'm just also concerned if anything else is wrong that could have caused this or is it just a bad resistor? Seems odd that a part like resistor would be bad/fail so I'm just being cautious.

Still need to get all the voltages up here but thanks for the input.

Jim

Comment

Ok - I tried replacing R8 but no change. Same behavior. Here are the voltages:

B+1: 388
          B+2: 338
          B+3: 320
          B+4: 282
          B+5: 272

V1a (pre-amp tube)
          Pin 1: 176.9
          Pin 2: .1mv (eff 0)
          Pin 3: 1.435

Pin 4: Heater GND side (DC ~mv - eff 0)
          Pin 5: Heater GND side (DC ~mv - eff 0)

V1b -
          Pin 6: 2.62
          Pin 7: 2.49
          Pin 8: 1.53

Pin 9: Heater (DC 6.86)

V2 (power tube)
          Pin 1: NC
          Pin 2: ~mv eff 0v
          Pin 3: 10.94
          Pin 4: DC heater (-) side - 0v
          Pin 5: 6.85 (DC Heater (+) side)
          Pin 6: NC
          Pin 7: 321.6
          Pin 8: NC
          Pin 9: 304.8

So the issue is why is pin 6 on v1 running at 2.64 v if R8 (plate resistor) checks out ok at 99.7 k (100k on schematic). I've also check the cont from v1 pins back to the R8 - only pin 6 has cont. Re-flowed the solder on the pins added some lead solder (63/37) since someone on PPWATT suggested it due to the ROHS solder cracking over time.

Anyone have any experience with these amps? I'm stumped. Does the Manu provide any support?

Jim

Comment

What is the voltage on the top of R8?
            Pin 7, working backwards is probably attached to a coupling cap.
            That cap may be leaking.
            V1 heaters are probably Vac.
            Check from pin 4 to pin 9.
            (pin 4 & 5 are tied together)

Comment

Just in case, here is the schematic:

[URL=http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/BLACKHEART%20BH1%20SCHEMATIC.pdf[/URL]

Voltage at the top of R8 is 282 or so - verify all voltages again tonight.

If you mean C-2, C-3 and C-4 in the tone stack which feed pin 7, yes there are coupling caps. I've checked them before and they were blocking the DC from pin 1 of the first gain stage - on the high side of each of those caps I measured the same HV as pin 1 is getting - about 176.

All the heaters are DC - V1 has 4 & 5 going to ground and 9 has +6.86v on it, V2 has 4 to ground and 5 has +6.85v on it.

I'll check the caps again.

Thanks -

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X