Peavey XXX and JJ E34L problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX and JJ E34L problem???

I have a XXX I'm working on and dude says he is using JJ E34L's and he cooked something in it. I haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but this is an older XXX and I remember hearing somewhere about those not being compatible with the JJ's because of an incorrect resistor value in the power section. Does anybody recall the issue and the correct value resistor? Peavey has long since fixed said problem but I can't remember what the fix was. Thanks for lookin' guys.

I have never heard of a Peavey XXX.
    Did the amp come with EL34 tubes from the factory?
    Or 6L6?

Comment

The XXX is really the "Triple XXX" Been around 8-10 years now. I think 6L6 is stock, but the amp has a 6L6/EL34 selector switch. You can use either

The whole screen resistor story...

There was never a "wrong" resistor value, the E34L can draw heavier screen current than the normal EL34, and was causing the screen resistors to fail in the amp when this non-syandard tube was installed. The resistors were fine for EL34, but the amp was not designed for E34L. But installing larger resistors solved that and the regular tubes still worked fine, so they made the change.

VERY FEW amps had this old resistor, it was changed in early production, and if not all, at least MOST amps in the series have been changed over.

Look inside and see if the four screen resistors are still 100 ohm or have they been increased to 470 ohm or 1000 ohm?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X