what happened?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened?????

Hey everyone have been a long time lurker learning as much as i can now i joined cause I busted luck. Yesterday I plugged my amp in tried to shred and nothing is coming out of the amp. No sound at all. I leaned it forward to undo the back and a buzzing noise comes out. When you stand it back up the buzz goes away. Lean it forward and it buzzes and stand it up no sound or buzzing. Please tell me this can be fixed.

I'm sure it can be fixed, what model of amp is it? sounds like it might be a loose connection of some sort, do you hear anything from the speaker when you turn up the volume with no guitar plugged in? could be input jack gone loose?

good luck!

Comment

what the heck. I just checked it, and now its buzzing on its own, when you lean it the buzz goes away i've got an amp gremlin. The only thing other than leaning it that changes the buzz is EQ low, as you raise Low, the buzz gets louder. The amp is a crate gx-15. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I got one of the GFX-15's just to check out the DSP FX board, and pulled it out of storage recently - it was making all sorts of noises, not all of which were curable by kicking it.

When I pulled the chassis out, I noticed that moving the ribbon cable made a big difference in the hum level - this might be what's happening when you lean the amp forward if the ribbon cable moves towards the front panel (you want to move it towards the back of the amp, away from the aluminum heat sink).

If I turn mine on and then plug my guitar cable into it, it makes a loud thump and then a pretty serious hum kicks in; turn it off and on again, the hum's gone. I think this is caused by the muting-circuit transistor, which I'm going to yank when I go back in to upgrade the filter caps.

It's an interesting distortion circuit, and sounds OK to me for heavy stuff. Most I've seen show no amplitude increase once hard clipping is achieved, but this one continues to increase in peak-peak level even after it square-waves. I added a de-fuzzing filter (two caps) which helped a lot.

Now that I've put an Eminence Beta 8 in mine and added an FX mix control on the rear, I actually like the thing - it fits perfectly in a small space under a window, and I play through it while watching TV.

Ray

Comment

Working...
        X