Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Stage 185 not making any sound

Hey folks!

I've had my Fender Stage 185 serviced once before, I believe he said he just needed to solder a resister. It's been sitting in my room for who knows how long. I'm finally going to attempt to repair or get it repaired if my friends and I can't do any work to it. Here's the problem:

I flip the power switch and get power, then there's a light "bump" out of the speaker followed by dead silence. Not even a hum or white noise when I turn the volume or gain up. Usually, even if you don't have an instrument cable plugged in with or without an instrument on the other end, you can still here something. I'm getting nothing. I opened up the chassis and I don't see anything suspicious, although I am not trained in this area at all. Obviously, a trained eye would likely see something I am not seeing.

Do you think it's possible the speaker is shot? Or is there something on the board that I can fix? Any ideas?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and thank you for your help,
    Chris

Hi Chris -

"Bump" sound out of speaker at turn-on sounds normal and reveals the speaker is probably capable of at least making noise, so probably not a bad speaker.

From at least one version of the schematic it looks like there are "Preamp Out" and "Power Amp In" jacks on that unit. Try plugging a guitar cord between those and see if things change. The "Power Amp In" jack has a bunch of switching/normalling contacts inside which may have oxidized, interrupting normal signal flow when nothing is plugged into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPhillips View Post
      I opened up the chassis and I don't see anything suspicious, although I am not trained in this area at all. Obviously, a trained eye would likely see something I am not seeing.

Do you think it's possible the speaker is shot? Or is there something on the board that I can fix? Any ideas?
      I applaud your willingness to dig into things and try to understand. However, it is major dangerous for someone who is not trained in electronics at all to be poking around in there. You're literally betting your life that you won't hit the wrong thing.

I hope I'm misjudging your level of electronics experience, but you understand that keeping you playing and making music is important.

To answer your immediate questions, no, the speaker's not shot if it makes a "bump". and while there may be something on the board that can be fixed, there is some inevitable danger in doing so. Plugging/unplugging cords, replacing fuses, and so on is about all a person who has no electronics experience can do.

If I'm misjudging your experience, let me know. Otherwise, take it to a tech.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

amen

Trust me, I have no experience. Nor do I have any intention of poking around that thing. I understand the potential for electric shock and value my life. Thanks for the heads up, you did not underestimate my ability whatsoever. I did, however, pull open the board and look at it, that's about it. I put it back on and left it at that. Where, might I ask, could someone begin to receive training on servicing guitar amps, and, really, electronic devices in general? I'm interested in developing some knowledge in that area.

Thanks! Chris

Comment

Hey Chris, I just started to get into amps, I play and have played for quite a few years now, but I received basic electronics and avionics training through the military. They, through their schools, give you just enough knowledge to be dangerous to your self and others. You learn the very basics, such as Ohm's law and components, and how they go together in a circuit. Any way, I would not recommend this for someone who desires to develop knowledge on electronics. I would however recommend looking into a community college close by, or a votec close by. I don't know where you live, but I'm sure there are some sort of basic electronic courses available at a local community college that you can take and earn credits for which could eventually land you a job with a company that repairs electronics. Who knows, but you have the potential and the ability to make that happen. It may cost a little, but you might look into scholarships or government grants to help fund it. I know the college here where I'm stationed, has night classes on all sorts of things like that. You could take that route. I would start with the very basics though so you understand it and some what know what you are dealing with, and progress from there. Best of luck to you, take it easy and be safe!

Comment

Working...
          X