1978 fender twin reverb problems...please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GIBSON&FENDER View Post
    it turns on now after I replaced the fuse but and I replaced the four output tubes with mesa boogie 6l6s and five out of the six of the preamp tubes...I didn't replace the one all the way on the opposite site of the output tubes...
    it turns on but im getting the same really electronic sound when i play through it doesn't very natural...
    A friend has a twin reverb on his studio, he was mad that the sound was something like you describe. He took it to my shop and asked us to take the whole thing apart....I looked at the impedance switch and he had on 4 ohms and his speakers were 16. Switch and...magic. Happiest and most embarrassed studio owner you'd see that week.
    Valvulados

Comment

alright well it seems to be doing a little better now, but its still really fuzzy i think its because the 74' twin speakers i put in it it breaks up which is nice but im not getting the volume i gotten before and although their known for their clean tone and yet i can't get a clean tone...
      although i am playing with a les paul special with two p-90s i dont think i should get that fuzzy sound when im hitting single notes...
      im not sure what the impendence switch is...
      it has from left to right..
      !. a ground switch A middle B
      2. then fuse
      3. then power
      4. then standby
      5. then hookups
      im loading a pic of what it kinda looks liek
      Attached Files

Comment

Indeed, that one doesn't have an impedance switch. The one I switched the impedance for was a 1995(I believe) reissue which had a rotary dial. I guess we can discard that theory then.
        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by GIBSON&FENDER View Post
          ...its still really fuzzy i think its because the 74' twin speakers i put in it it breaks up which is nice but im not getting the volume i gotten before and although their known for their clean tone and yet i can't get a clean tone...
          although i am playing with a les paul special with two p-90s i dont think i should get that fuzzy sound when im hitting single notes...
          It's hard to tell just by you saying fuzzy... I'd say that most vintage Fender amps are quite dirty when they do break up, could be described as fuzzy, specially with humbuckers. See if you can find some Fender break up on youtube. Youtube, Vingate Fender Amps Before you start doing stuff to it, try a Fender guitar, like a tele or something.
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
            It's hard to tell just by you saying fuzzy... I'd say that most vintage Fender amps are quite dirty when they do break up, could be described as fuzzy, specially with humbuckers. See if you can find some Fender break up on youtube. Youtube, Vingate Fender Amps Before you start doing stuff to it, try a Fender guitar, like a tele or something.
            That is true. I have an amp with tremendous headroom using my Strat. A friend brought over his les paul with Seymour Duncan's and it breaks on volume 3. It's a Tweed-based circuit, and when it breaks it's not a clear distortion, it is a bit fuzzy and boomy.
            Valvulados

Comment

yeah i looked up some videos on youtube...
              but i can't find anything that matches the sound my amps making...
              its like it distorted when i play chunky chords, and its weird i getting
              more of a growl out of a fender strat then my les paul with p-90s?

you can hear it when i play both chords and scales but when i play
              chords it sounds distorted and when i play scales especially high notes
              then it sounds really electronic like the vibrato is stuck on and sounds
              well electronic not natural at all...it does break up more so now that i put
              74 twin speakers in it but the noise is still there

Comment

Hmm, maybe you could upload some files, somewhere, so we can hear the noise...
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
                  Even with humbuckers you should be able to blister paint in the room before that beast breaks up. If you played bass through it then put (questionable) used speakers in it, I would still suspect blown speaker(s). I had one of those amps as a kid many years ago with Utahs in it. I was constantly blowing speakers trying to get it to break up and usually brought the police to our band practice. Try plugging into a known good cab. That is one of the loudest, cleanest, brightest tube guitar amps there is.

Comment

thanks for responding...well i can tell you its not the speakers i had brand new legend eminences in there before and i was suggested to see if the speakers were bad so bought the 74 twins off craigslist and hooked the two twelve eminences into a old baldwin sonax because the 15" that was in it was trash...and it sounds really nice like an old marshall and get that growl i use to get from my reverb with my les paul and with the scales it has a natural sound and sharp and distinct..maybe its the caps?? or chould be something in the chassis?

Comment

Working...
                    X