Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall 2061X Handwired 20 watt blowing preamp tubes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2061X Handwired 20 watt blowing preamp tubes..

Hi, I have this marshall and it seems to be blowing the left preamp tube when i play it for about an hour. I had one of my amp guy's look at it and he said everything was clean but maybe the output transformer was faulty.
    Any answers? Cuz I'll just replace it myself. Oh and I'm new to this forum so if you have any pointers on proper forum etiquette let me know...

Thank's

Bryce

Marshall 2061X Handwired 20 watt blowing preamp tubes..

Hi, I have this marshall and it seems to be blowing the left preamp tube when i play it for about an hour. I had one of my amp guy's look at it and he said everything was clean but maybe the output transformer was faulty.
    Any answers? Do you know where i could purchase the transformer? Cuz I'll just replace it myself. Oh and I'm new to this forum so if you have any pointers on proper forum etiquette let me know...

Thank's

Bryce

Comment

The OT is not likely going to cause a preamp tube to blow.Check the voltages on the plate and cathode of the tube in question for starters.

Comment

If that's the little point to point kit I have to say it;s a beatiful sounding amp and I did a power tranny swap on one to a Mercury and that thing was awesome. Pure tone but yes I agree you have something crossed there and may have the full plate voltage going to that tube instead of it's dropping voltage. Possibly the connection to a wrong node or an unwanted bridge to the supply. Your going to have to do some meter checks to find out what's going on.
        KB

Comment

Forum etiquette? I'd start with not double posting...

I agree that the output transformer will have nothing to do with preamp tube falures. Power transformer neither.

I am not sure what you mean by "blowing" preamp tubes. The heater goes out? They shatter and explode? It just stops passing signal? It gets really noisy? What?

If the heaters are going dark, it is more likely a loose socket pin or a poor solder connection to the socket.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe he means power tube, not preamp.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
            X