Mesa Triple Rectifier... trouble shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Triple Rectifier... trouble shooting

First started as fluxuating volume, then to no volume.
    Noticed only one power tube lighting up, swapped tubes same thing.
    Tested the heater voltage on all sockets and I get a 5V reading and I believe it should be 6.3V. (6L6) (unless my meters off)

I then started to replace the tubes one by one, they all started to light up, got to the last (6 in a triple) and then all but the one just put back didn't light up again..???

Last edited by tboy; 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM. Reason: removed extra characters in title

Are you saying that 5 tubes will light up, but when you put in the last one they all go out again? Then that tube is very likely to have an internal short.

Perhaps it is time for a tube change?

Comment

Tried with different tubes and same thing...

Originally posted by greekie View Post
      Are you saying that 5 tubes will light up, but when you put in the last one they all go out again? Then that tube is very likely to have an internal short.

Perhaps it is time for a tube change?

Comment

tested all heater circuit; wires, pins, sockets, solder joints etc...

back to this.....I have taken the tubes out, back in and back out, (probably 6-7 times) all would light up until I put the last tube back in (closes to the source) and all would go out except for the one tube, same thing...then.....put different tubes back in and it worked! Then put the old tubes back in again, they all lit and worked!....

go figure... I was told this could happen...must have been the connections in the sockets...

Comment

Glad you solved this yourself. I was about to post that you have probably got dirty sockets and or tube pins. By removing and replacing the tubes several times you have accidentally cleaned the pins and sockets as they scrape together. It was probably the new tubes that cleaned the sockets. The dirt was probably oxidation made worse by the heat the tubes produce. Glad you have it working but if you want to stop this happening again remove each tube one by one and spray sockets with de-oxit or similar good quality switch cleaner and replace. This will prevent further oxidation.

Comment

Exactly that!
            I did clean the sockets with contact cleaner before I put it back together like you mentioned.
            Everything looked clean as hell so I didn't suspect that to happen. I wonder how many amps get taken to a tech that ended up being the same problem...

Originally posted by kenda47 View Post
            Glad you solved this yourself. I was about to post that you have probably got dirty sockets and or tube pins. By removing and replacing the tubes several times you have accidentally cleaned the pins and sockets as they scrape together. It was probably the new tubes that cleaned the sockets. The dirt was probably oxidation made worse by the heat the tubes produce. Glad you have it working but if you want to stop this happening again remove each tube one by one and spray sockets with de-oxit or similar good quality switch cleaner and replace. This will prevent further oxidation.

Comment

How true!

I am a repairer and I have lost count how many over the years. Trouble is I am old shool (64) and my morals don't allow me to charge anything if that is the only problem.

Comment

Working...
              X