Peavey Deuce eating fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Deuce eating fuses

A friend of mine has a Peavey Deuce that's burning fuses. The amps sound fairly good and he doesn't feel like retire it just quite yet. I had a fast tinker session a while back. I modded the speakers out section. It had some fancy wiring that, I believe, changed the output after the speakers. It had caused a minor fire so it was a prime suspect. Now the amp has go two outputs; one 4 Ohm and a 8 Ohm.

Anyhow, the amp is still burning fuses, in the same fashion, as before I vent in there.

Anyone here that came across a Deuce that burned fuses? Any pointers on how to resolve this issue..?
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I just realised that the speakers might still cause problems. If he hooked up the 8 Ohm out a 4 Ohm speaker, it could be problematic... I'll ask about it.

Comment

Does the fuse blow after you take the amp off standby? If so, your looking at a shorted output tube. A 4 ohm speaker plugged into a 8 ohm tap wouldn't blow a fuse. You do need to keep a speaker plugged while testing the amp though.

Comment

The fuse blows in the solo of Shot by both sides. (Actually I does, I've seen it for my self.) He uses a pedal to get slightly more break up and a higher volume.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
          The fuse blows in the solo of Shot by both sides.
          Well, there you go. Not a good song for those amps.

Comment

I just realised that the speakers might still cause problems. If he hooked up the 8 Ohm out a 4 Ohm speaker, it could be problematic... I'll ask about it.
            I wouldn't worry as much about the speakers, unless they're totally shorted. Are the fuse ratings right, perhaps you need a slo-blo? If you have a current limiter(lightbulb in series) you could run more 'risky' tests.
            Valvulados

Comment

Mhmm... Apparently this amp has been sitting in a garage for many long years. I guess to many caps has gone south. Further, I think I mentioned the fire in the out put section. I prescribe some deep surgery, but I'm not sure the owner feels like spending $$$ on this amp.

Comment

I still think it's the song, but as jmaf suggests, are you using the correct fuse? The schematic calls for a 5 amp fuse (on 120VAC amps).

Comment

Mhmm... Apparently this amp has been sitting in a garage for many long years. I guess to many caps has gone south. Further, I think I mentioned the fire in the out put section. I prescribe some deep surgery, but I'm not sure the owner feels like spending $$$ on this amp.
                  I wonder how much he thinks even a small house fire will cost.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
                  X