Crate Blue VooDoo 6212 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Blue VooDoo 6212 Problems

As the title says i have a Crate Blue VooDoo 6212 60 watt Amp and I'm having problems. This is my first tube amp. I bought it used, the owner said it needed tubes.
    So I replaced the 2 Power tubes(EL34) and 4 preamp tubes(12AX7) Groove Tubes. The Store didn't have the 12AU7 so i didn't replace that one.

I turned the power on and let it sit for like 20 mins,I smelt a funny smell when letting it sit after powering it up( I thought it might have been the tubes being New, im a total NEWB).
    Then I flipped the standby and let it sit for like 5 mins. I played my guitar and i had sound, for like 10 mins, then it went silent. I looked at the back and the power tubes were not lit up any more. I'm not sure about the preamp tubes because it had the metal caps on. But the power and stand by switches are lit and the channel lite on the front of amp and foot switch is lit. I checked the fuse in the back of amp and it is fine. There was a crackle noise from the input jack and the Clean volume pot. The Clean Volume Pot when turned half way up had a steady HUUUUUUM.

I'm not sure what the problem is or could be. Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have a fault in the filament circuit. If that amp uses DC preamp filaments and AC power tube filaments it could be as bad as a power transformer. But it's probably just a circuit. The fact that there is hum when you turn up the preamp is very bad. Because you have no power coming from the power tubes (they're not lit) it can't be an audio hum. This means it's a mechanical hum, and that's very bad. You should not power the amp up again and a qualified tech should look at it.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I forgot to mention that the Input jack and volume pot problem happened in the 10 mins i got sound. The input jack was acting weird like, I had the gain on the dirty channel all the way up and volume on like 5 and it was quiet then i jiggled the input jack and it was loud as hell. The Volume pot crackled from 0 to like 5 then the HUM.

If this changes what you may think the problem is let me know. Also what would a Amp Tech charge to fix my problem and maybe replace all the pots, and input jack.?

Comment

Bumping

Comment

I had a look on the Crate website and under "support/discontinued products" I found this owners manual: http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/BV6212_OM.pdf
          The manual says there are 6L6 power tubes in the amp. If your amp ought to run on 6L6 and you put in EL34 you might have killed the heater winding of your PT.
          EL34s need almost double the heater current of 6L6 (1.5A instead of 0.9A).

Comment

It has an auto bias in this amp for 6l6 and el34s. The Amp came with El34s Sovtec when i got it. I had used it like 8 months ago when the old owner had it and it worked fine.

Comment

OK.
              Have you already checked if the preamp tubes are lit?

Comment

Working...
              X