CGI amp w/weird IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGI amp w/weird IC

I have this weird old amp...I think it's a CGI...not there to look right now. Anyway it has a reverb driver IC that I can't cross reference anywhere. The number on the 14pin DIP is either ML109cp or MLT09cp. The former seems more reasonable, but I don't find that combination of letters & numbers anywhere.
    The amp looks to be build in the '60s sometime. Has discrete transistor preamp & driver tube & 2 ea 8147 power tubes. Kind of a weird looking duck with huge knobs for master vol & another huge one for the EQ. This amp also has a 'phasor' on it with rocker switches to adjust the rate.

The ic seems to be a dual opamp with pins 1, 7, 8, 13 are NC. I think it's probably got those offset connections, too.

Any ideas (yea I know Enzo...get rid of it!! ). g

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
    I have this weird old amp...I think it's a CGI...not there to look right now. Anyway it has a reverb driver IC that I can't cross reference anywhere. The number on the 14pin DIP is either ML109cp or MLT09cp. The former seems more reasonable, but I don't find that combination of letters & numbers anywhere.
    I bet it's a ???709??.

There WAS a 709 opamp with varying letters and codes around it. See if the power connections match a 709 opamp pinout.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

cool, now that ya put it that way....I think they made one that was in a can as well as the DIP...thanx RG....g

Comment

RG,
        Again, thanx for the info...it turns out it was a UA709xx. It is a 14pin single opamp IC. I had an SK replacement. Also turned out that the original IC was in backwards...too much.

This amp is actually a MCI or MGI model SG-212. Never heard of one. Has IC/xistor input sections with this cool phaser feature. It sports a 12AX7 PI & 8147's for power tubes. Interestingly enough, this variety of power tube only takes about -15V on the control grids for bias of 40MA/tube.
        Anyway it's back in action.

Twice in a couple of week I have run into tubes that had bad solder connections on the tubes actual pins. These 8147 tubes are old Bogen tubes from the 60's & had bad pin solders on the plates...both of them. The other one I had issues with was newer Groove 6l6'S on the filiament pins.

Way back in the olden ;-] days when picture tubes had actual sockets on them like regular octal tubes, we had soldering issues on the filiament pins, too, especially with the roundy color picture tubes. We always wondered how many pic tubes were replaced for nothing but bad pin solders.
        Thanx again...glen

Comment

Working...
        X