Peavey Encore 65 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Encore 65 problem

Hello, I just picked up a Peavey Encore 65 all tube amp. It had been hit by something, and 2 tone pots here damaged. I replaced the pots and checked for damage to the board, all looks ok. My problem is, the output volume is very low( maybe 1% of its max). This was the same issue before the pot replacement. If I nudge the amp the reverb spring noise is quite loud, so i think the power stage is good. Also if I unplug the reverb tank the volume is loud, but volume is only controlled by the reverb pot, and the only other control that works is the pump pot. I am kinda stumped by this one, and hope there may be a Peavey expert out there, or someone else that could steer me in the right direction.
    Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks-M.R.

It doesn't take an expert. If you have a meter of some kind and a way to generate a constant input signal you should be able to trace the signal through the amp.

What we know is that the amp took a hit and was damaged. The power stage is good. Signal is not driving the reverb tank. So... There is a fault at some point prior to where the signal feeds the reverb driver. Find the fault and you can likely fix the amp.

Just because it's a common problem with Peavey's, try plugging a jumper into the effects loop. Dirty jack switches can cause this kind of problem. Also try a preamp tube substitution. Otherwise it's likely a short on the board. Maybe at the volume pot. Just because the two pots were visibly damaged doesn't mean they are the only ones that were.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It is a common problem with ANY amp that has cutout loop jacks, not just Peavey.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe it's just because every Peavey amp seems to have them. It IS a common problem with Peavey's... And other amps with switching jacks in the effects loop. The worst offenders are amps with "tweed" type mounting and effects loops on the top panel. Don't spill your beer.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Oh yes, I don't disagree, if someone gripes about falling volume etc on their PV amp, that will be the first place I send them looking.

I have worked with the PV folks my entire pro audio career, and I think they are tops. With all the unfounded anti-Peavey sentiment out there, I tend to defend their honor.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Huge Peavey fan here. It's been a long time since I called them, but customer support was tops. Their "Classic" line is probably the best bargain in tone out there and they hold the cup for old but reliable used gear that keeps bands on a budget rockin. One of my favorite amps ever was my Triumph PAG60. I bought it because I loved my Rockmaster preamp, which I played through a Classic 60/60. In the "Best SS amp" thread I nominated the Bandit 65... Which was the first amp I ever owned and I didn't find a desire to upgrade for years.
            Last edited by Chuck H; 08-03-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks Chuck for all the feedback. Been too busy with work to get back to the amp, but maybe tomarrow. Huge Peavey fan myself. Own 6 Peavey amps, 4 from the early eightys including a '79 Artist that still has the Black Widow. What a tone! I have many other tube amps, but play a late 90's Bandit 112 most the time. It just seems to make all the right noises(even with me plugging in to it). Once again thanks to all for the input!-M.R.

Comment

Triumph PAG. The PAG meant Parallel Axial Geometry. Fancy way of saying the tubes stuck out horizontally in the back.

Comment

Huh. I'm pretty sure my power tubes hung. Preamp tubes may have been in the chassis (in which case they would have been horizontal) but I can't remember. I never opened it up but I did do A LOT of recording with it. I go rid of it when I tried to use it for a gig and it wasn't loud enough. The circuit was great for getting that late 80's early 90's high gain sound but the built in mid scoop decimated the amps ability to work in a live mix. I replaced it with a Marshall JMP head. And started learning how to fix my own amps shortly thereafter

Comment

Oh well, I am old and senile, I could be confused. The regular Triumph was like any other amp. I recall the PAG to have the tubes horizontal. I know that was what PAG meant - Parallel etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X