Help me choose some caps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose some caps...

I am about to order some capacitors for my old Lifco Cobra Mark II. The ones I'm replacing are the two Mallory metal cans. They have two 40uf 450v caps in each can. So what would be the best choice? I'm looking at....

Illinois 47µF / 500V - 4 of these with some terminal strips and just leave the cans where they are. Or these F&T Germany 47µF / 500V not much more expensive. (cost is an issue though).

Or would I be better off to put in something like this?.... F&T - Germany Radial Can Capacitor 50µFx50µF / 500V It looks like a fairly close replacement for what was in there originally.
    Last edited by DLNB; 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM.

If the F&T cans are the appropriate physical size, I vote for those first, followed by the F&T axials, with the Illinois being my last choice of the ones offered. I don't mind adding new parts and leaving the old cans, at all, but I do like to replace the cans when I can find them, depending on the amp. If it's a nice, valuable old amp, I'll try to find the can.
    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

I think those cans would be about the right size. Is it okay to replace the 40uf originals with 50uf?

Comment

Well, there's the right size, and then there's the -enlarge the opening and drill new holes for the mounting bracket- size. Measure the diameter of your cans and compare the specs. I've bought some JJ cans that were far from a direct drop-in replacement, is all I'm saying, even though the values were correct. Yep, it's o.k. to go 50uf.
        Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

They measure the same diameter of 1 3/8. But the hole in the chassis is smaller. As long as the leads on the new cap is not closer to the edge of the can it will be fine. If not I'll modify.
          Last edited by DLNB; 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
          X