No announcement yet.

stocking your workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree there. I am not big on using used parts, but I do wind up with dead carcasses, and in particular some "discarded" low end warranty leftovers. I have a little cheap Fender Champion 600 throw away amp dead here, and I was suprised how many dumb little repairs that thing bailed me out of. I needed a small single end OT, I ran out of 470 ohm 2w resistors, I needed several other odd incidental things. I could have ordered them, but there they were onthis amp carcass...

I find it cathartic to strip down old VCRs or cassette decks when I need a break. The older the VCR, the better. Older ones were more complex mechanically. I wind up with a boatlaod of metric screws and sheet metal screws, and the little power cord. Mostly the rest is useless, but I feel better after the effort. And I now have a DARN nice metric screw collection. Old reel to reel decks are a treasure trove of just STUFF. Small power transformers could be useful when you need to make up a small supply for some add-on FX loop controller or something. Cassette decks and to some extent the VCRs also usually have several lengths of small flexible shielded cable inside. perfect for running from input jack to tube grid on some build or repair.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X