Alesis Nanoverb overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Nanoverb overload

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm having some trouble with my new amp rig setup. Which is a Hughes and Kettner Bluesmaster preamp > Alesis Nanoverb > QSC GX3 > 1x12 SSP cab with a JBL E-120. My whole idea for this rig was having a portable rack rig that sounds like a twin reverb. And this does a killer job.

Here's a sample

Hughes and kettner preamp jerry garcia rig - YouTube

(Sorry for the shitty playing lol)

So my big problem I run into when gigging is that I overload the Nanoverb (NV). The NV's LED turns red and sounds really bad until I power it off and on. I've talked to John Kadlecik from Furthur about this problem and this is what he said

"yeah, I have to watch that or the Nv goes into overload and sounds like ass until its powered down... I use my NV right now in a parallel effects loop on the GT Trio, so the mix knob is cranked all the way to wet, and I dial in the reverb with the output knob"

Problem is I'm not using a Groove tube trio as my preamp. The Hughes and Kettner Preamp doesn't have an effects loop... So I thought about building a little guitar effects mixing unit (which would also have a switch for true bypass) But I thought would that even solve my problem? I'm hoping somebody can help me out with this!

Thanks alot guys!

It sure is strange that the "clip" LED is latching.
    Maybe that is the way it is, I do not know.
    (Or did the Nanoverb 2 deal with this issue?)
    There may possibly be something wrong with the unit.
    In any event, where do you have the "input" knob set?
    If playing soft passages does not illuminate the clip LED, but hard attacks do, then you do not have any "headroom" on the input.
    Try turning down the input pot or reducing the output signal from the H&K preamp.

Comment

From what I recall, these were much more friendly to instrument rather than line level signals.
      As JPB mentioned, if you reduced the input level (or preamp out level) and increase the output level (or QSC input level) so that you don't overload any more, then the problem is solved.
      Also there is an outside chance this could occur with improper power supply (internal 5V line would sag & could cause lock up). Are you using the correct Alesis supply and is it a regulated type?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I had thought it was a 9V powered effect, which is bad enough.
        Somewhere else I suggested you to build a simple preamp powered by +/-15V supplies to address that.
        Now I see (thanks g-one) that it in fact is 5 (as in five, duh!) Volts powered.
        Typical and normal for digital circuits, but *forget* it will drive any Pro type power amp.
        And digital distortion is much worse than SS distortion.
        And it going dumb and latching when way overdriven, should be addressed by designers, but doesn't suprise me.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I didn't mean that the tone latches once it clips. It's just once it clips it seems I clip it very easily. This could all be fixed with the signal boost between the NV and poweramp My poweramp is not the one clipping. it's the Nanoverb.

I was also told if my amp has an effects loop i could over come this problem, but sadly it doesn't :/

Comment

You see, right now i;m not having enough signal running to the poweramp which is why my volume isnt loud enough on stage . So i'm not at any risk of clipping it. I just need to be able to boost it.

Comment

The QSC Power Amplifier requires a signal voltage of 0.770Vac to run it to full power.
              A typical guitar will output 100mv's, which is probably what the Nanoverb is outputting. (more or less)
              It would be real nice if you could measure the Nanoverb's signal strength (before clipping).
              A mutimeter is all you need to read it.

Comment

Working...
              X