No announcement yet.

multiple shielded wires: twist or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple shielded wires: twist or not?

I added a gain-stage pot and master volume on a blackface Fender.

I have 4 shielded wires going from the pots to the eyelet board (about a 7" run).

Is twisting the four shielded wires together worse than letting them run parallel to the board?

I think the only different will be that you will be using more wire, and it might look a bit clumsy. Unless you are running the shields at different potentials. But that would just be weird ;-)

Comment

Hi greekie! I don't understand the part about different potentials— what does that mean?!!

Otherwise, I suspect that you recommend to leave 'em straight! Thank you!

Comment

They are shielded, so twisting them won;t do much because the shield already prevents them from picking up noise.

Potential means voltage. Usually we ground the shield, generally only at one end, unless the shield is needed to take a ground connection out to the other end. BUt a shield could also be connected to B+ or some other node. I don;t like that practice, but it is done. SO in that case, one shieded wire might have its shield at ground potential, and the next one over might have its shield at B+ potential.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok! I understand. Thank you, Enzo!

Comment

Working...
          X