Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp finish repair

Hello all.

I have a Roland Cube 80x and, while trying to clean the demo sticker goo off of the top of the amp (I had removed this sticker years ago but never removed all of the residual adhesive) I scrubbed through some of the black finish. The scouring only seems to have gone through the black coloring but not through whatever the textured layer is under it. I don't think the MDF is exposed.

What I thought I'd do is try and bring the amp out of its none more black look and run a blonde tolex runner around he amp a'la Egnater as shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel30CP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	864885

I'd also change the expanded metal grill to a more classic cloth again like the cloth shown on the Egnator. This would be a fairly cheap mod.... except for a problem.

All of the MDF panels appear to be stapled together or something like that. That includes the back panel which would make removing it for tolexing potentially VERY damaging. There is a little ledge at the bottom there, but it is only about 1/16 deep which doesn't appear to be much wider than the tolex is thick. I assume then that I wouldn't be able to affix the tolex to such a shallow ledge. So... unless I cut a narrow channel where the back panel meets the bottom panel, tolex is out.

Unless you know of a trick to get the tolex to stick so such a small ledge, anyone have any ideas? Can any one here think maybe of a paint that would adhere well to the existing finish?

Thanks!

My amps are gigged and usually beat to sh@t. Did you burn all of the way through the tolex? Even if you did, thick vinyl black paint (the kind you paint plastic patio furniture with) will fill it in with a brush. If it isn't a vintage piece of art, when band names and such are stenciled on gear most people and shops simply spray black paint over it. Seriously, nobody can see the imperfections 5 ft away even in a photo shoot. Things are different if you are restoring a valuable vintage piece and everyone has their own little tricks.

Comment

liquid tape

I have used liquid tape to touch up rips, rashes, etc. on fender type black tolex. You'll find it in the hardware store in "electricals", used to patch bare wires. It might work for you, and you can texturize it, sort of, with brush or dental tools or screwdriver or,,, as it sets up. HTH. YMMV,

Comment

Working...
      X