Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver faced Bandmaster Reverb sounds dark ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver faced Bandmaster Reverb sounds dark ?

Even with fresh tubes, fresh caps, I have to keep the treble at 10 and the bass at 4 to sound normal. It sounds fine with these settings but they are extreme. I was looking on youtube and people keep their treble at 6. In fact I have 2 bandmasters and they both do the exact same thing. Any tips ?

Sounds like you played too loud for too long.

RWood

Comment

Hmkay..

Comment

Originally posted by Iplayloud View Post
        ...I have 2 bandmasters and they both do the exact same thing. Any tips ?
        That is your clue. Look to common parts of your setup besides the amp head that may affect the high end response. Things that come to mind are:
        The speakers used
        Your Guitar
        Any FX boxes used
        Your guitar cable
        Possibly the pysical set up / room and your proximity to the speakers
        Your ears

Otherwise, your settings are not all that uncommon and as long as you can get the sound you want you are good to go.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Iplayloud View Post
          Even with fresh tubes, fresh caps, I have to keep the treble at 10 and the bass at 4 to sound normal. It sounds fine with these settings but they are extreme. I was looking on youtube and people keep their treble at 6. In fact I have 2 bandmasters and they both do the exact same thing. Any tips ?
          I hate reiterating what others have said but, first of all, what is "normal" for you?
          Did this suddenly just start happening... or over time... are you using the same cabinet and guitar with the amps?
          I'm in the camp that most Fender amps are hot in the top end of the mid range and treble so; bass-3-4 max, mid 5-7 and treble 5-7... bright switch off if you have it.
          OH... have others said or noticed your tone sounds dull...? If no, I hate to say it again too but your hearing is quite possibly damaged.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            That is your clue. Look to common parts of your setup besides the amp head that may affect the high end response.
            +1

Your ears.
            Certainly possible. I hope not for the OP's sake. I am personally familiar with this phenomenon.

Otherwise, your settings are not all that uncommon and as long as you can get the sound you want you are good to go.
            +2 The knob wouldn't go to ten if it wasn't an option.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Normal, in order not to sound seriously dark. It's not just the speakers or cable as I have other amps to compare with, Princeton Reverb, Hot Rod duluxe... Amps were not blackfaced so I suspect the 2000pf caps between the power tubes grids and ground ? Other differences shouldn't take away any treble I guess.

Comment

No rules here. Pull those caps. If the amps don't oscillate and it sounds the way you want it's all golden.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  No rules here. Pull those caps. If the amps don't oscillate and it sounds the way you want it's all golden.
                  And since you have two Bandmaster heads that sound the same you can make mods on one and keep the other stock for now to be used as a control standard. It's a good opportunity to make small changes one at a time. Then you will be able to hear the resulting change in tone (or lack thereof) first hand.
                  Originally posted by Iplayloud
                  …It's not just the speakers or cable as I have other amps to compare with, Princeton Reverb, Hot Rod duluxe...
                  Understood but the Princeton Reverb & Hot Rod Deluxe amps are using different speakers. Are you using the same speaker cabinet with both of the Bandmasters or do you have two Bandmaster bottoms that sound the same? I’m just trying to rule out the possibility that your Bandmaster speaker cab sounds dark.

Comment

Working...
                  X