Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-3 PRO bass head not turning on

Hey,
    I have an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO bass head and have never had any problems with it. Today it won't turn on ... not good since I have a gig tonight. It's not the chord, nor the outlet. I'm not that good with electrical stuff so if anyone out there has seen this problem before, please let me know!
    Thanks
    Jess

A "dead" amp is a VERY comon problem. If you are expecting some particular thing to always be the reason, you'll be disappointed.

If you have tested your cord on some other amp, and tried a different cord on this one, we can rule out the cord.

But if there is ZERO sign of life - I assume by "won;t turn on" you mean that, instead of lights up but no sound - then we check for open fuse, wire off switch or fuse holder or board, cracked solder on the power inlet board. (The place the AC cord conects to) Power switches can fail.

For a technician, "dead" is usually a lot easier to fix or at least diaqgnose than some amp working half-assed.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank's so much. By dead I did mean no sign of life at all. No noise or anything. I was just hoping it would be a loose wire or something that I could fix quick. I opened it up and checked, but nothing looked different. Hopefully this won't be too expensive lol
      Thank you for your help!
      Jess

Comment

Have you checked the mains fuse (on the back of the amp)?

Mark

Comment

Unless you see a wire off, any bad parts probably won;t LOOK any different. Can't see inside a switch, for example. And if you have cracked solder, it will be on the underside of the board.

If you know anyone technical, this is the sort of thing that is either quick and simple, or will need something you won;t have on hand. But for example, a dead power switch. It can be wired around to get you through the gig, and replace the switch later. That sort of thing. ANy competent tech can do that.

And please oh please, check that fuse.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X