Danelectro Centurion 273 OT/Silvertone 1472

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danelectro Centurion 273 OT/Silvertone 1472

i picked up this amp while out on a tour a week or 2 ago and i am finally getting around to looking at it. it's single ended with a pair of 6V6's in parallel. i am pretty sure the OT is a replacement. it has a 10k primary and 4/8/16 secondaries and is 8 watts. from what i've been reading this is pretty much flat out the wrong transformer for this amp. with that said is there any harm in using for the time being at least? And secondly (i'll point out now that i'm still very much in the learning stage) can i make up for the high primary by mismatching the secondary? i've been looking in to the Hammond 125ese and was wondering if i could put a 4Ω load on the 16Ω tap of my transformer like the 125ese calls for with the 2,500 primary?

Thanks...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Foxfire; 12-17-2011, 01:33 AM.

I'm not following your question here. Isn't this silvertone push-pull? 10,000 ohms plate-to-plate primary sounds okay for about 270 Volts for push-pull 6V6's.

What Do the Terms Push-Pull and Single-Ended Mean?

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6V6GT.pdf

Comment

well it looks like i have some learning to do...

Comment

Maybe check out valve wizard's section on single-ended and push-pull:

How to design valve guitar amplifiers

If you look at the second page of the 6V6GT data sheet link above it gives effective load resistance for push-pull, 10,000 ohms for 250 v and 8,000 for 285V, at 10 watts and 14 watts respectively. If you wanted more options in an OT and don't want to pay a lot of money (~$22), musical power supplies has a output transformer OT15PP, which has options for 7,000 and 8,000 ohm primaries and 4-8-16 ohm secondaries. Matt, the guy there, has always been easy to work with IMO. You would need to measure your installation, I have no idea if it would physically fit your chassis, clear your speaker, etc. You have to shrink-wrap off the unused transformer taps. If you like the way your amp sounds, then probably not worth fooling with.

P-P OUTPUT XFMRS - Musical Power Supplies Inc.- Quality Tube Amplifier Parts You CAN Afford

Comment

thanks for all the links...i'm not sure where or how i got it in my head that it was a SE amp. i've had the valve wizard link for a long time, and i guess it's time i actually use it.

Comment

Working...
          X