Harsh High End in Bandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
    I['ll go along with most of that Gtr-tech, but complaints such as have been listed in this thread can be quite subjective and hard to quantify, let alone find and correct.

Low power? Does it produce the power it should, then the power is not low. Is it as loud as the user thinks it should be, that's a different question and one that's quite subjective. I can't measure that. I can measure the power though. If his tech can't do that, then he isn't much of a tech, don't take the amp to him. Blue gas? Yeah, go on. Too much Bass? That again is subjective, Fender's tend to have a lot of bass, they excel at a lot of bass. How much is too much? "loss tone weak sound harsh no harmonics" I'm sorry, but that's pretty non-descriptive. It could describe a seriously sick amp, it could also describe an amp that just doesn't sound like a user thinks it should, though there's nothing "wrong" with the amp.

I remember an amp I worked on for a guy who played it when he came to get it after it was done and ready to go. He was sitting in front of the amp, underneath a hanging shop light, playing his guitar when he struck a certain note he stopped and asked "what was that?" What was what? That noise, didn't you hear it? Geeeze, I'm not sure, what noise was it? This went on for some time with him strumming the guitar and me listening and not hearing what he was. Finally I moved over to where he was sitting and when he played I heard the lamp vibrate above my head. I reached up and held it still. You mean that? That's the noise he was hearing, and thought it was coming from the amp (great set of ears he had, he couldn't identify that the sound was coming from OVER HIS HEAD, not from in front of him). Complaints need to have some kind of objective basis, you've got to be able to narrow things down a bit and give the tech something solid to go on. I'm having trouble blaming the tech(s) in this case because the complaints tend to be very undefined and subjective.
    I am Not a tech,so I use "Buzz Words" to get my point across....Too much Bass is amp Vol 4, bass on Zero, and treble on 4, and the walls shake...As for tone If you can't tell a Black Plate 6l6GC in a vintage amp from a regular russian tube...I can,most guys have never played vintage guitars that had real magic...Like a surfboard or a race car maybe only one in 200 is magic.I have heard guys playing bass with a vintage bass and amps that sound like both a guitar and a bass playing Thats harmonics.Or when the OC tech said he had checked the Bias cap and it couldn't be BAD...I could feel it was bad and it was....

Comment

Treble on 4 seems a very low setting, I'd expect quite a dark tone with it set like that. Also remember that you still have 3 full intervals of adjustment on the bass control...if it sounds best on "2", then there's no need to turn to "4".

Comment

Seems like there is only a few things that can cause a bias supply filter cap to go bad... some examples,

1: Wrong bias supply filter capacitor voltage or quality, needs to be at least a 68v to 100v cap there.
        2: The possibility that the AC bias source voltage is off the high voltage tap, not the 35-50vac bias tap... etc.
        3: Bad bias supply rectifier diode... a 25 cent 1N4007 fixes that.
        4: Bad coupling caps from the PI... two $1, .1uF 600v caps fix that.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          Seems like there is only a few things that can cause a bias supply filter cap to go bad... some examples,

1: Wrong bias supply filter capacitor voltage or quality, needs to be at least a 68v to 100v cap there.
          2: The possibility that the AC bias source voltage is off the high voltage tap, not the 35-50vac bias tap... etc.
          3: Bad bias supply rectifier diode... a 25 cent 1N4007 fixes that.
          4: Bad coupling caps from the PI... two $1, .1uF 600v caps fix that.
          Thanks Bruce,I know how good this amp can sound But some thing is messing with the tone...If I measue the caps do I need to lift the one side measure them? I think the OC tech put a 47/50 back on.He also took the death cap off,But Kendricks changed the chord from the old one and I wonder if thats why I hear all the poping on the bright switch,and missing volumeand way more bass then it had before...Today I had to turn the Treble up to 7 to make it sound like it did before on 3...

Comment

64 Bandmaster

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
            Treble on 4 seems a very low setting, I'd expect quite a dark tone with it set like that. Also remember that you still have 3 full intervals of adjustment on the bass control...if it sounds best on "2", then there's no need to turn to "4".
            When I got it back from Kendricks each time I would set it to the same place Vol 5-6,Treble 3-4 and Bass 3 Thats what G. Weber told me to It was really nice The responce was perfect how hard you hit the strings I could go from Doobie Bros to SRV just with my guitar volume knob..Now it is unbalanced,and harsh like nails on a blackboard on the GBE strings but real bassy also..Now I need a overdrive to get the tone that I did get without one,and with a OD I was in Led Zep 1 or Cream land

Comment

Working...
            X