Crooked Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked Transformer

This has been bugging the crap out of me and I need to post it somewhere for a second opinion, even if it isn't a big deal.

I recently bought a splawn quick rod and I noticed the legs of one of the transformers were bent, not sure if the previous owner or a guitar tech who worked on it did this, but has anyone seen this before? Here are some pics:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k...ack/photo1.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k...lack/photo.jpg

It sounds and works fine, so obviously it isnt a huge issue. I'm not sure if people who work on amps do this for some reason, or if it means something has malfunctioned. It seems like common sense, but I really dont know if transformers function properly when they arent upright. Its pretty stable and doesn't move around or anything. I'm afraid to get inside it or try to do anything because of voltage, any suggestions will be appreciated!

Don't let it bug you, it's not an issue as long as the transformer is mechanically secure (which it looks to be).

Comment

Wish I had a dollar for every old Marshall I've worked on where the tranny's have sagged or bent like that over time!

Working on a friends' Marshall 2204S, 80's reissue small chassis in a small headbox, i could barely get the chassis of of the head as there is VERY little clearance for the power trans.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
        Wish I had a dollar for every old Marshall I've worked on where the tranny's have sagged or bent like that over time!

Working on a friends' Marshall 2204S, 80's reissue small chassis in a small headbox, i could barely get the chassis of of the head as there is VERY little clearance for the power trans.
        So you're saying the amp bent itself over time?

Comment

It was dropped, either overtly or in shipping. If it bothers you (things like this irk the hell out of me) pull the chassis out and straighten 'er up. You can either reef the transformer into place or remove the hardware and straighten the legs out with a pair of duck bill pliers. While you're in there I'd be looking around for other damage that's not so obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Dawg View Post
            It was dropped, either overtly or in shipping. If it bothers you (things like this irk the hell out of me) pull the chassis out and straighten 'er up. You can either reef the transformer into place or remove the hardware and straighten the legs out with a pair of duck bill pliers. While you're in there I'd be looking around for other damage that's not so obvious.
            ugh, i dont know enough about amps nor do i trust myself dealing with internal things like transformers, even if it is just bending the legs back. Its hard to hear stuff like that about your amp, but I guess it makes sense that it could have been dropped.

Comment

Next time you have it in for service make sure your amp mechanic looks it over carefully and fixes what you see there.

Comment

At SOME point in the amp's life it was sitting on the end, and was dropped or bounced sitting that way. The weight of the iron transformer caused the mounts to bend when it hit. It could have been that way for years or for a few minutes, who can say. It completely has no effect on the sound. In my humble view, bending it back straight is just one more bend on the metal, and every time metal bends it is weakened. Like a ding on my guitar finish, I wish it wasn't there, but I wouldn;t fix it.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc View Post
                  So you're saying the amp bent itself over time?
                  No, the weight of the tranny(s) over time can cause the bottom mounting brackets to bend if the amp is left on it's side for long peroids of time, or for who knows what reason.

If I'm feeling generous, I'll remove the bottom brackets and straighten them so the tranny sits level again.

As long as there is no stress/tension on the wires it is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc View Post
                    This has been bugging the crap out of me and I need to post it somewhere for a second opinion, even if it isn't a big deal.

I recently bought a splawn quick rod and I noticed the legs of one of the transformers were bent, not sure if the previous owner or a guitar tech who worked on it did this, but has anyone seen this before? Here are some pics:
                    No previous owner or tech did that. The likeliest suspect is UPS.

It's been dropped. If the cabinet is secure and the amp is otherwise well built and solid this is a non-problem.

If there is plenty of excess lead length on the tranny a tech may be able to easily fix it. But ... this is one of those things that can be an almighty bear to fix and is really only a cosmetic problem.
                    My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I dunno, maybe I'm sort of obsessive compulsive but I hate this stuff. It's certainly enough to make me want to investigate for overstressed wires, insulation damage and mechanical shock damage, while I'm straightening out the sheet metal. I worked on a Dr. Z Rx that had this sort of treatment and I did find a couple of cracked tube sockets.

Comment

The infamous leaning trafo of Pisa. Not to worry, it's center of gravity has not crossed it's baseline yet.
                        Valvulados

Comment

Working...
                        X