No announcement yet.

Roll your own multisection caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has been mentioned before, if space and/or cosmetics is an issue, you can open up an old multiple-can cap (from the bottom) with a dremel cutting wheel and stuff it with new, modern caps that are small enough to fit inside. It's a good idea to secure them with hot glue and use some thick isolating paper.

Comment

My version of a 40/40/40/40 multisection cap is as Enzo described. Four individual caps and some zip ties (or hot glue or non conductive silicone). A terminal strip is nice. I like the five lug strips they sell at Radio Shack. The center lug shares duty with the mounting hole and so usually ends up grounded. Should be perfect for mounting four caps that share the same ground point.

I've never used the caps from Weber. At $1.85 are you sure they are the correct voltage rating??? That's real cheap for a retail price on a power supply filter.

P.S. 47uf is an acceptible sub for 40uf.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yeah, check Weber's prices sometime... About 1/3rd (or less) the price of anybody else. Since Weber is generally well received in the amp building world, I feel pretty safe ordering from them. If it was anything but filter caps I'd look for Sprague or the like, but afaik there isn't much "tone" involved in this stage. Feel free to correct me if I'm badly mistaken!

Comment

Working...
        X