A quick quesiton about testing resistence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick quesiton about testing resistence

I've noticed often when I take a reading of a resistor I get an initial reading and then when I leave my meter connected the resistance will slowly climb and continue to climb indefinitely?

I was wondering why this is? Do I just have a crappy meter? messed up resistors? I kind of doubt these and my feeling is that it has something to do with the resistors being in series or parallel with a capacitor since this seems to be when it happens, but I's just like to know why this happens if anyone knows?

If your testing resistors in the circuit then yes they are sometimes connected to capacitors and what you are doing is charging the capacitor and your meter is monitoring the charge time constant. If you have your meter in continuity mode when it gets out of the range it will read OL. When testing resistors especially in SS amps it's best to pull one end up and then test it. Same with diodes that sometimes when you read a diode it will read low because there is a resistor across it so you have to pull one end up and then check it. If your meter does that with the resistor totally out of circuit then yes you have a meter problem.
    KB

Comment

Working...
    X