AC30 Power issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC30 Power issue

Hi, I posted a couple weeks ago about a '97 Vox AC30/6 TBX. The main fuse blew so I changed the rectifier tube and that seemed to fix the problem. But today the fuse blew again. I changed it and now I can turn the main power on... but the moment I take it off standby it makes a horrible rattling noise like it's trying to power up but can't. It won't blow the main fuse as long as leave standby on.

Do I need to try putting in new power tubes? Or could my new GZ34 have died already? Could the pre amp tubes have anything to do with this? Is it ok to take the GZ34 out and try and power the amp up to see if that's the problem? If possible, I'd love to figure out what the problem is before spending any more money.

Thank you!!!

...oh yea... and the internal fuses seem to be fine.

Comment

Pull the power tubes and try again.
      If it blows the fuse or what ever.... you have a problem.
      If it's OK, put two of the power tubes in opposite ends of the line up.
      If it blows the fuse, you have a bad power tube(s).
      If it's OK, put the other two power tubes in... now if it blows the fuse you have your answer.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately one of the HT fuses blew when I took the power tubes out. Is there a chance that it could be my new GZ34?

Comment

Yes. Try another rectifier tube.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This problem sounds familiar. I suggest that you search the forum for other threads about this type of problem with the AC30.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoomailman View Post
              Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately one of the HT fuses blew when I took the power tubes out. Is there a chance that it could be my new GZ34?
              The problem with replacing rectifier tubes as a first response to a blown fuse is that you have NO IDEA if the first rectifier tube was damaged by something downstream. Thus, if you plug in a replacement rectifier tube without eliminating the possibility of problems like a shorted output tube or power supply capacitor, you risk damaging the replacement rectifier tube, too. If you don't know how to check for shorts, then you need to take the amp to a competent tech. If the answer is that you can't afford to do that, then you're somewhat stuck :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
                The problem with replacing rectifier tubes as a first response to a blown fuse is that you have NO IDEA if the first rectifier tube was damaged by something downstream. Thus, if you plug in a replacement rectifier tube without eliminating the possibility of problems like a shorted output tube or power supply capacitor, you risk damaging the replacement rectifier tube, too. If you don't know how to check for shorts, then you need to take the amp to a competent tech. If the answer is that you can't afford to do that, then you're somewhat stuck :-/
                Right... I've seen a number of bad power tubes take the rectifier tube out in short order after a few blown fuse changes. Especially when the neophyte uses bigger fuse the next time and the next. Wish I had a dollar for every time some vintage amp would come in with a 20 amp car fuse in it.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                X