AC30 filament balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC30 filament balance

I've been trying various noise reduction strategies on the JMI Vox AC30 I've been working on, and I realized I'd overlooked one of the obvious ones: filament balance. Duh.

In stock form, one side of the filament supply is ground-referenced at V1. Advice on sites that discuss the AC30 is to use the standard approach of two 100 Ohm resistors to balance the filament supply at the V1 socket. I found that it made no difference in the noise level whether the filaments were balanced at the V1 socket or at the pilot light, where there's a little more room to work. On this example, at least, the result was better if the filament ground reference was on the preamp tube sub-chassis vs. the power amp tube chassis. Why? I'm not sure, other the fact that it's sometimes hard to predict which ground point will work best.

In this case, referencing the filament supply directly to chassis ground vs. elevating the filament reference to the output tube cathode voltage made no difference.

I also tried clipping in a hum balance pot, which produced better results than any fixed resistor arrangement, but mounting is an issue, depending on whether or not you want to drill a new hole in the chassis. Lowest noise was at about a 60/40 point, but it also varied somewhat depending on which volume control was turned up. Minimum noise was found at slightly different pot adjustment points for the Normal and Brilliant channel inputs.

Your mileage may vary, but those are my results :-)

Yes, you'll end up chasing your tail trying to use filament balancing to compensate for hum created by convoluted grounding / high gain. The original implementation is flawed and you're never going to get as quiet as you'd wish.
    Unless you want to spend a lot of time revising the grounding arrangements (possibly reducing it's value) then you've probably made it a lot better than it was and taken it as far as is feasible.
    Pete.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

If you had a little luck with the balance pot, why not measure it at the point in it's rotation where it did the most good, and mimic it with fixed resistors? If the amp is *usually* played on one of the channels over the other, in a fairly consistent volume range, maybe it's better than nothing (or at least better than drilling holes in old AC30s...) and easier to mount. BTW I have been having good luck mounting small odd parts with Silicone II, FWIW... I think a balance pot would be O.K. mounted like this.
      Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
        If you had a little luck with the balance pot, why not measure it at the point in it's rotation where it did the most good, and mimic it with fixed resistors? If the amp is *usually* played on one of the channels over the other, in a fairly consistent volume range, maybe it's better than nothing (or at least better than drilling holes in old AC30s...) and easier to mount. BTW I have been having good luck mounting small odd parts with Silicone II, FWIW... I think a balance pot would be O.K. mounted like this.
        I considered this, but I assumed that the balance pot's setting would be affected by different 12AX7s. I didn't check this, though. In any event, any sort of filament balance to ground is a large improvement over simply having one side grounded.

Comment

Working...
        X