No announcement yet.

NOS Mallory capacitors for Rhodes Piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well electros have a wide tolerance so if you like the other channel you should find out what the actual values of your other caps are.

Comment

Originally posted by diagrammatiks View Post
      if those say MTA on them somewhere then the closest modern replacement is the CDE TC/MTC
      Thank YOu. They do say MTA on them. Can you give me a little more info on them as far as brand and vendors?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        As for the Mallory caps, there are 4 in the signal path, all four are 5uF @ 25vdc Non-Polarized.

The front end of the preamp is mono and only separates into stereo at the vibrato stage, so the only right / left caps are the two at the output of the preamp.
        1. So if all capacitors except the 4 5MFDs have absolutely no bearing on sound or frequency characteristics for the Tone POT then I can just swap out the 4 5MFD Caps untill IM happy. is this correct?

2. Do the diode have any bearing on the sound? The originals seem to check out but I have the ones that VV gave in the kit. If they have no bearing on sound what so ever than I would swap those out to be safe?

3. Lastly,I know this is a basic question but as far s soldier selection what should I be using and is shinier better? I ask because all the electronics I have worked on have shinny soldier and the soldier I am currently using from radio shack has a dull finish. What is the better copper/tin ratio for electronics like this?

Comment

Originally posted by diagrammatiks View Post
          well electros have a wide tolerance so if you like the other channel you should find out what the actual values of your other caps are.
          Well you mentioned CDE TC/MTC caps. Tell me more. I googled them with no luck. Where do I get them? I will measure my values but like I said before though I think they deffinately have more soul to them than the cheap caps I can alos tell they are worn out and need to be changed to get an optimal tone,so I dont know what that reading should be. Plus would I be measuring resistance because my meter doesnt measure capacitance.

Comment

I have no idea where you could get those caps. I'd email CDE and see if there is a distributor.

You also need to get a cap meter and measure the actual capacitance. Chances are those caps in the other channel aren't anywhere near the value on the casing.

Comment

So what do you do when you need a new pick up in the harp? Rewind your own? This is starting to sound like the guy who was restoring an old HP 200A audio osc and he built his own caps so they would look original - way to toxic and over the top effort. BTW some of the best aluminum electrolytics now come from Japan but they probably sound terrible

Comment

I will measure my values but like I said before ........
                . Plus would I be measuring resistance because my meter doesnt measure capacitance.
                Tell me this is a joke

More to the point: no multimeter , not even sophisticated Lab Equipment will help you, because the Mojo Meters have not been invented yet.
                They have not even developed the humbler "Creamyness" Meters.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by gbono View Post
                  So what do you do when you need a new pick up in the harp? Rewind your own? This is starting to sound like the guy who was restoring an old HP 200A audio osc and he built his own caps so they would look original - way to toxic and over the top effort. BTW some of the best aluminum electrolytics now come from Japan but they probably sound terrible
                  OKay Guys I get the point just answer these questions so I can start the experimentation.

1. So if all capacitors except the 4 5MFDs have absolutely no bearing on sound or frequency characteristics for the Tone POT then I can just swap out the 4 5MFD Caps untill IM happy. is this correct?

2. Do the diode have any bearing on the sound? The originals seem to check out but I have the ones that VV gave in the kit. If they have no bearing on sound what so ever than I would swap those out to be safe?

3. Lastly,I know this is a basic question but as far s soldier selection what should I be using and is shinier better? I ask because all the electronics I have worked on have shinny soldier and the soldier I am currently using from radio shack has a dull finish. What is the better copper/tin ratio for electronics like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Skiroy View Post
                    That's not what I said, the four 5mf caps are the only Mallory caps that are in the signal chain. They are not the only capacitors in the signal chain.

The diodes are all part of the low frequency oscillator for the vibrato section. They will not directly have any effect on the tone of the preamp.

Basic hobby solder is a 60/40 mix with a rosin core flux.

Comment

Okay last 2 questions then Im just taking the plunge.

1. I found a distributor for the MTA NOS caps. But as far as ESR and age deterioration if their capacitance reads good does that mean I dont have to worry about that? In other words if I make the distributor email me measured capacitance values and they are in tolerance I should have to worry about ESR issues,right?

2. Looking at my schematic can someone tell me if the (2) 100MFD caps are in the audio signal path? And if anyone cares to waste the time tell me out of the 1MFD,(2) 8 MFDs, and (4) MFDs;which are in the audio signal path?

These are the values of the caps that VV send in the kits as well and it would also help me look at the schemo and try to start being able to make sense of the signal path.

Thankx

Comment

In other words if I make the distributor email me measured capacitance values and they are in tolerance
                        I would never trust the distributorエs word.
                        Never ever.
                        Iエd buy and learn to use an LCR bridge and check by myself.
                        A vintage compatible one can be had at HamFests and similar places.
                        Avoid modern digital ones because they can suck the mojo out and leave digital scum inside, which you will *never* be able to clean out of the signal.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          Avoid modern digital ones because they can suck the mojo out and leave digital scum inside, which you will *never* be able to clean out of the signal.

Are you messing with me with this because I want to buy a multimeter today?

Also the VV Caps have no brand but they all have a little "M" with a box around it. Does anyone know what these are?

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude at all.
                            You have your path, you follow it, itエs your choice.
                            I have nothing to say about that.
                            Good luck.
                            Hope you find what you're searching.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

コンデンサメーカー一覧サイト capacitor.web.fc2.com

Matsushita?

Comment

Are you messing with me with this because I want to buy a multimeter today?

Also the VV Caps have no brand but they all have a little "M" with a box around it. Does anyone know what these are?
                                they are panasonic's.

Comment

Working...
                                X