Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox tube Berkeley - loss of volume

Hello all.
    I have a mid '60s Vox tube Berkeley I have owned for about 15 years. I recently noticed a volume loss of roughly 20%-25%, and slight change in tone (mainly mushy low end, lack of punch). I figured it was power tubes so I replaced them with new EH EL84s. It didn't make any difference. I've done a little work with tube amps so I opened it up and checked all the basic stuff but didn't find anything. I didn't really have time to mess with it so I took it in to a highly recommended tech. He checked it out, put it on a scope, etc. and said he could not find any problem. I brought it home but the issue is still there. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what to look for?

The caps were changed about 7 years ago. and I've tried replacing all the tubes with known good ones. Tried different speakers. Even tried a different output transformer. (I have the original and a Mercury Magnetics upgrade).

One other thing - Last spring we used this as a back line amp for a garage rock festival. Sometime during the show one of the 2 EL84s went bad. I don't know how long the amp was played with the tube out but it could have been 2-3 hours. However, The problem didn't seem to show up until several months later.

Thanks,
    Kirk

"You checked the basic stuff".
    Is that like a "Check Engine" light?
    Yup, it's there.
    here is my list:
    Current draw from the mains, with & without tubes?
    B+ voltage loaded & unloaded?
    Preamp tube plate & cathode voltages?
    Signal amplitude at output tube grid, volume full up?
    Output waveform monitored on a scope?
    Maybe your tech could help fill in the blanks.

Comment

Working...
    X