'73 super reverb AB763 layout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '73 super reverb AB763 layout.

I accidentally tried to play my Super Reverb with the 5U4GB in place of the adjacent 6L6.... ( several minutes )
    Did I do much/any damage to tubes or amp ??
    Doc

Was there anything in the rectifier socket? Did the amp make any sound through the speaker?

If it did make sound, the is possible damage to the 470 ohm screen resistor on the 6L6 socket. Check it with an ohm meter for proper resistance. The 5U4 would get 3.2V on it's 5V heater and will try to pull current through pins 4 and 6 to ground. Did you smell any burning smell?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks loudthud.
      There was a 6L6 in the rectifier socket, and the rectifier tube was in the adjoining socket.
      No sound through speaker.
      470 ohm screen resistors are OK.
      No burning smell at all.
      Normal channel is great but vibrato channel is very low on volume..... and the treble and bass pots are not working correctly...I will recheck the wiring. Vibrato channel had these problems before tubes were in wrong.

Comment

It is unlikely that any damage occured if there was no B+. The 6L6 in a 5U4 socket wouldn't even get hot because there would be no power to the heater.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks, loudthud.

Now if I can get the vibrato channel low volume problem figured out I will be finished with this amp.

I only have ( about 1/10th ) volume at 3 and 10 on the volume dial and lifting the 2 legs of the roach didn't help.

Pin 1 on V2 only has 179v

Doc
          Last edited by Doc Stitches; 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Vibrato channel volume problem solved !.....It was a bad 250pf tone cap in the reverb channel.
            Now there is 270v on pin #1 on V2...and not 179v. No more scratchy sounds when turning the knobs.
            Thanks to all
            Doc

Comment

Working...
            X