deluxe reverb tube q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deluxe reverb tube q

i have a 2006 deluxe reverb reissue 65. i'll admit i don't know much on tube amps, but i know mine isn't working. the first tube, the biggest, won't light up when i turn it on. the other 2 tubes light up but not the first one, and i can't play it at all. its had this problem in the past but i would just jiggle around the tube and it would be fixed. this time, however, its no use and i'm wondering what the problem could be. i've only had it for a few months so i'm not sure if the tube wore out so quickly... any help would help

That first tube(to the left,looking at he back of the amp) is your rectifier tube. It changes the ac voltage from your power transformer to dc. Your other tubes will light up because the filaments( the part that's lit up) are powered by ac voltage. Either get a new rectifier tube and put it in the first socket or take your amp to someone who can diagnose your problem. That tube will probably run you $15-25.

Comment

It sounds like you're talking about your rectifier tube. This tube converts the AC (from the wall) to DC (for the other tubes to work). The light you see in the other tubes is the heater, it runs on AC. Rectifier tubes usually last ages.

If wiggling the tube solved the problem before, that points to loose contacts in the socket. I have no idea if this can harm the rectifier, or if a bad rectifier could harm other things in the amp but a new one is only 15-25 bones.

The loose contacts in the tube socket (the part that is attached to the amp) can be tightened, someone else here can advise you on how to do that or a repair shop can take care of that for you, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Another possibility it the tube socket has poor connection to the circuit board, this is more difficult to repair.

please take proper precautions when working on your amp. They retain high voltages for a while after they're unplugged so the filter caps should be discharged.

Comment

Unlike vintage Fender amps, I've had to replace more then a few 9pin sockets on these reisue amps for reasons like this... maybe you need to too.
        No wait that amp is still under warranty.
        Take it back where you got it or find out who does the warranty work for Fender around you.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

pulled out tube

okay, so i just pulled out the tube hoping that if i put it back in the problem would be fixed. i'm noticing that the tube has only 5 pins, is this normal or should it have the full 7 because 3 of the holes dont have pins coming out. also, bruce, are you saying i might have to replace the tube or the socket the tube connects to.

Comment

okay, well, i guess 5 pins is okay, i stuck it back and it still doesn't light up. i guess i'm gonna have to get a new tube. i'm thinking this at least gives me an opportunity to test new tubes; see why everybody says they make a difference in tone. what are some good alternatives to the 5ar4, and do i have to match watts or anything when choosing new tubes?

Comment

Don't skip over Bruce's advice. That amp has a five year warranty. Are yu the original owner? If not, can you get the bill of sale from the original owner? Or from the dealer who sold it to him if you can't find him. If it is just a bad tube, they won't warrant it - tubes only 90 days - but anything else, they will fix under warranty. That means no charge to you. That bill of sale is your ticket to free service for severl years.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X