space echo dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• space echo dying

i've had my trusty re 301 for a couple of years now, replaced the tape a couple times, never demagnetized the heads, haven't been the best dad to it... could be cleaned up etc. but recently, it became a one-speed. a slow speed.

the motor doesn't respond to my changing the echo speed knob at all. switching b/n different delay modes will get a little variation, but the motor still spins at the same speed.

is this something that i can crack the homie open and fix myself? do i need a replacement motor? what da dill?

thanks much for any insights.

rene

check motor bearings

I haven't got the schematics for that but I read a post once saying the bearings needed replacing and that the motor is impossible to get.
    Does the motor seem stiff when rorated by fingers?
    Its more probable the control circuitry has failed in which case
    a tech with some knowledge should be able to fault find.
    is this the motor?
    Sayama pioneer electronics
    D.C. Brushless motor
    Type M-502E-B02
    24 volt
    lot 8L11
    I'll attach 2 schematics of an earlier version the 201 which I gather had the same motor.
    They may be helpful to a tech to fault find yours, or at least start some more discussion...
    Attached Files

Comment

Been a while since I've seen the inside of one of those, but one thing that comes to mind is to check the pinch roller for ease of rotation. I've seen them get pretty tough to move after sitting for a while, as the grease turns almost solid.

There are probably some electrolytic caps that are getting pretty dried out inside by now too, and not just the big ones. Some far-gone caps on the motor drive board might be possible...

Good luck!

Comment

My RE201 had the same problem. Turned out that the repeat rate pot had shorted to ground. I cleared the short and it has worked fine since. Well....mine's really hissy but that's another thread.

Comment

I resume this old thread because I have a Space Echo motor I'm trying to repair

I have replaced the bearings but the motor still slows down as soon as a little pressure is applied - the pinch roller cannot be tensioned properly

The only thing I think could be causing the problem are the hall sensor ics in the brushless dc motor circuit

I am trying to figure out a replacement for these ics, but the originals are sealed so I cannot read the value

Can you please indicate a suitable replacement ?

Comment

Hey I saw a post about this on another forum - what was the conclusion to this? I'm faced with a similar problem of a weak motor and have also already replaced the upper bearing. Thanks

Comment

I mean did replacing the hall sensor ics specifically fix the problem - I'm not sure whether I should be barking up this tree. Thanks

Comment

If the hall effect sensors where at fault then the motor would not turn.

Comment

Working...
                X