Buz906-901 mosfets needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buz906-901 mosfets needed

Looking for a source for the BUZ906P and BUZ901P mosfet for a Trace Elliot PB250 power amp.
    I would like them matched as well,

any help appreciated,

Vin Collins

Hi Vin

I think your best bet is British Audio Service, Inc. */*Trace Elliot*Transistors
    British Audio Service.. they have been servicing these things for years
    Don't think you'll have much luck with matching however.
    The only way seems to be if you buy a heap and match them yourself.. very expensive !

They are made by Semelab and the main distributor (I think) is the Welsh (UK) company
    Farnell now known as Element 14 but distributed in the US by Newark.

MOSFETs - Single | Newark.com | Results

Other than those Profusion Plc distributes the Exicon Brand mainly in TO3 packages but they have equivalent ratings.

Lateral Mosfet

They are also a UK company.

You would have to compare the spec sheets etc so I s'pose British Audio Service may be the easiest .

Besides they're on special !!

MOSFET BUZ901P
    Plastic Package MOSFET as used in Trace Elliot Bass Amplifiers.
    Model #: 72-MOS-BUZ901P
    Price: $22.99 Each
    On sale for: $17.99

MOSFET BUZ906P
    Plastic Package MOSFET as used in Trace Elliot Bass Amplifiers.
    Model #: 72-MOS-BUZ906P
    Price: $22.99 Each
    On sale for: $17.99

Comment

Wow, that is a 'special'.
      Sheesh.
      Bend over.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Wow, that is a 'special'.
        Sheesh.
        Bend over.
        Well here in Auzzie land we get used to it..... high prices that is
        check these out

Magnatec $36.70 each

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p...633D4E4F4E4526

or
        Semelab $32.76 each

BUZ906P - SEMELAB - MOSFET, P, TO-247 | element14 Australia

Considering the Auzzie and US dollar are pretty much equal... it makes the British Audio Service one a gift horse...

The agents for Ashdown charge a similar price for 906/901 spares.

I thought they were all matched hence the higher price but only 2 out of 6 had the "magic" yellow dot...

There is not much difference to a trade 6L6/EL34 price..

Well I suppose we have to help prop up all the failed economies :-) elsewhere in the world....

I'm off to chuck another roo on the barbie .. cheaper than the butcher so I can save up for my mosfets !

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I have a few questions, I haven't worked on SS stuff in quite some time, only tube amplifiers.

The Trace Elliot schematics and parts list show either the BUZ900 or BUZ901 905/906, the difference being drain source voltage 160 vs 200 vdc.

What difference if any would this make??

The 901/906 is available in either TO-3 or TO-247 (P version).
          I want to stay with the to-3 package for obvious reasons so I don't want to use the P version.
          Newark has the BUZ901/906 on sale for less than $10.00.

So it appears if British Audio doesn't sort them what would be the difference if I purchased direct from Newark? (I know about 8 bucks)!

The fault was one of the 901's appeared shorted. No other collateral damage apparent, nothing burnt or out of spec.
          I plan on the "shotgun" repair of the board, replacing -ALL- semiconductors on the board.

What else do I need to know? I don't want to do this twice! I want it off my bench and into happy land never to return.

Many thanks to all,

Vin

Comment

Twas me, I would refrain from 'shotgunning' the amp.

I am not questioning your ablility to pull it off, but it just seems that you are increasing the 'chances' of causing other issues.

Comment

If you remove the shorted MOSFET, the thing should run and drive a load, though the minimum load impedance will be doubled. You can test it this way to see if anything else needs replacing.

I'd buy the ones from Newark and not worry about matching too much. These are lateral MOSFETs, they self balance to an extent. Just get a complete set, don't mix new ones with old ones on the same side.

The drain-source voltage rating has to exceed the sum of the rail voltages in your amp, plus a little headroom for safety. If it runs off +/-55V, that would be a total of 110, so the 160V parts would do.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
              X