No announcement yet.

Looking for an Electar Tube 10 Power Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and of course Classic Tone a/k/a Magnetic Components, Heyboer, Weber, Mercury Magnetic$$$, and of course fleabay and the usual website for sale wanted pages for the budget minded. Do you have some dimensions?

@Steve that's funny but H & H did have a point. I went to an auction a few years back which was at a mobile radio shop that had closed up, and there was a split window Dodge van back in the weeds behind hte place that was filled to the brim with mostly Thordarson transformers for tube televisions and such. They'd been acquired along with the van 11 years previously and had been sitting all that time. I bought a pickup truck load of the heavy stuff for a hundred bucks, a lot of which I have used and horse traded with. There was a LOT of stuff.

At this point I guess we should all be happy that we have some pretty good sources for more or less standard or easily adaptable iron these days. The builders seem to be all "We'll cook up a small lot for you" type people. Classic Tone is putting out some Marshall power transformers for the repair/replacement trade that have the 15v windings and they deserve a look.

Comment

Weber has one, #W022772INT that is a perfect fit but has the primary and secondary leads coming out of opposite endbells, for $33! (Same dimensions as W022772 and W022772EU otherwise) I have a grommeted hole in the chassis with speaker leads going through it that I can run the secondaries back through, or if that causes hum in the speaker (which I doubt it will), I can easily drill and grommet another hole. Should solve my problem. Thanks, everyone!

Comment

The tube 10 uses a 6L6 right? You would not want to use a Champ style PT in place of it.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the higher heater and plate current of the 6L6 vs. 6V6, but it already has a Champ style PT in it. (Minus the 5V secondary.) Perhaps had something to do with the PT's early failure, but that's how Gibson's Korean contractor did it. They basically copied Champ circuitry and dropped a 6L6 in it instead of a 6V6, in 1999 when there were no suitable new 6V6 types on the market. They may have beefed up the 6.3V heater secondary when they left off the unneeded 5V rectifier one, but if they did no such PT is on the market today. Gibson officially replied to me that they provide no parts or service, and I've pretty extensively searched what's available. Beefing it up with something bigger will entail drilling holes and/or fabricating brackets to mount it "above" the chassis, which is inside the little combo box above the speaker voice coil, a rather tight space, while making sure the coils are oriented at right angles to the nearby OT as the original laydown orientation has it. Really there is no other good option. A modern 6V6 tube type is an option of course, but I'm speaking of PTs. Hammond doesn't have any replacement as close to the original as this Weber one, BTW. It may work perfectly as I hope, or it may smoke quickly or later. That's a chance I'll take.

Comment

Working...
          X