Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30 idle current

Hi everyone,

The AC30 I have on the bench is drawing 480 mA on standby, and just over over an amp in play mode. It's got a fresh set of EL84's, and their cathodes are sitting at approximately 10 volts. It seems to be playing ok, is the current draw flowing through the filaments?

Chur

480ma WHERE? The mains? The B+?

If mains, is that 120VAC or 240VAC?

480ma at 120v is less that 60 watts.

I don't know which AC 30 you have, but a quad of EL84, a GZ34 and three 12AX7s, heaters alone will use about 35 watts. Throw in a few watts here and there, like the dropping resistor to the zeners, transformer losses, tube currents. Certainly th quad of output tubes idling in Class A will suck up some watts.

If in doubt, does the PT get real hot? You could disconnect all the PT secondary wires and applu power to its primary - it ought to draw VERY little current that way - is that the case?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Where and how are ou measuring the current?

To check bias you should only be checking the current on the HV secondary of the PT.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Or...alternately, you could measure the voltage from ground to cathode at the output tubes. If it's 10 volts across a 50 ohm resistor you've got .200 amps or 200ma. Remember that V=IR where V is volts, I is amps and R is resistance in ohms.

Jamie

Comment

I measuring the current through the PT primary at the wall outlet with a power meter, apologies for my lack of details.

Cathode voltage reads fine relative to the schem (10 v) but calculating the static plate dissapation with these values (10 v / 82 r = 120 mA, 120mA / 4 tubes = 30mA per tube * 365 V (anode to cathode voltage) = 10.95 W, and the EL84 datasheet states the tubes max plate dissapation is 12W ?

I'm just running a power saturation test now to see how she goes, at this stage seems ok, with an 250 hz sine wave input signal dissapating around 35 watts over an 8 ohm load .

Comment

Sounds like it's running just fine!

The real question is how does it sound?

jamie

Comment

It would be running fine if the wall voltage was 120V.

If it were 240, maybe not so hot.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
              X