USB to midi adapter question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB to midi adapter question?

Howdy, I just got a peavey vypyr 30. To do firmware upgrades on it you need an 8 pin midi to usb adapter. I have a ton of usb cables and an unneeded 8 pin midi. Can I splice 2 halfs of each together to make an adapter? If so how can I find which wires go to which? Or is there much more to it than that?

No idea. I'd call customer service at Peavey and ask them about it. I just read the owner manual, at least the downloadable one, and saw nothiong about updates at all, so no help there. All it says about that 8-pin connector is that it serves the Sanpera foot controller.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

No you can't. A custom chip is needed to convert between the USB and MIDI protocols.

Low-end USB MIDI interfaces have the chip built into a lump on the cable, giving the impression that it's "just a cable", but it's not.

I've never heard of an 8 pin MIDI jack. MIDI works with 5 pin DIN connectors. I guess the footswitch connector on the Vypyr is MIDI with extra power pins, and will accept an ordinary 5 pin cable too?

Enzo: http://www.peavey.com/products/insta...structions.pdf
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

AH, thanks. That is not part of the amp manual proper.

It clearly says a MIDI to USB converter, not adaptor cord.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks all..., something else I must buy. So far thats one thing I don't like about the Vypyr, it comes with features you can't use unless you buy other stuff.

Comment

It comes complete, ready to use. If you want to get updates, THEN you have to have a MIDI interface. They provided that method for you instead of requiring you to take the amp to a service center to install updated ROMs. They could have included all the Sanpera features, but then you'd have to pay the extra price of them. Not everyone wants that.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              It comes complete, ready to use. If you want to get updates, THEN you have to have a MIDI interface. They provided that method for you instead of requiring you to take the amp to a service center to install updated ROMs. They could have included all the Sanpera features, but then you'd have to pay the extra price of them. Not everyone wants that.

Well, take the looper for instance, which is actually why I picked the Vypyr over the Fender Mustang. The looper is on the amp, but after I bought it I find out it can not be used without the Sanpera( sure probably my fault for not researching the product enough ). Now I have to get a $120.00 pedal with stuff on it I don't care about just to use the one thing I do. Good gimmick I guess. Had I known that up front I would have bought the Mustang and a Jamman.

Comment

Working...
              X