Rectifier oddness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier oddness

So I'm working on an Ampeg B25, I know the two 5AR4 rectifier tubes I have are flaky, but they work if I power the amp up with the standby off, and the voltages can rise slowly.
    If I power it up and then turn the standby off, the amp blows a fuse.
    Is it the sudden slamming of the load that a compromised rectifier tube can't take?

Originally posted by drewl View Post
    So I'm working on an Ampeg B25, I know the two 5AR4 rectifier tubes I have are flaky, but they work if I power the amp up with the standby off, and the voltages can rise slowly.
    If I power it up and then turn the standby off, the amp blows a fuse.
    Is it the sudden slamming of the load that a compromised rectifier tube can't take?
    How old are the filter caps?

Comment

What fuse is in your amp?

And in my head, it seems more likely old caps are making too much of a charging spike, rather than the rectifier itself. I could be wrong.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well the caps are "only" 40yrs old..........
        Mains fuse is supposed to be a 3A slo blo, and it popped a 5A slo blo I put in for testing.

Comment

I'd disconnect the caps and clip something into their place for testing.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, I tried that with an intermittant JJ5AR4, and it still blew the fuse once.
            replaced the filters since they're old, and I'm gonna put a fresh rectifier in when it gets here.

I think both these rectifiers were in my Korg AC30, which is known for killing them, I removed the standby in that amp since, and I wonder if they'll work in the AC30 if they can come up to voltage slowly without getting hit by the circuit load.

I never like rectifier tubes, they always seem to flake out on me.

Comment

Hmmm. This sounds like it might be one of several things, including the caps issue noted.

It might be interesting to try the rectifier tube current clamp I genned up: Tube Amp Current Clamp It can set the available peak current to anything you like. The current through it never gets bigger than you set with the current sense resistor.
              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I'll have to try that RG, but it was the bad rectifier tubes I had.
                Put one in my AC30 and it did the same thing.

Comment

Yeah. I was just thinking it might be a way to soft-cushion the rectifier tubes - keep them going a bit longer, or protect new ones. Just speculation.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

My Hi/Fi audio buddies don't have good luck with JJ 5AR4/GZ34's. They don't hold up....

Comment

Yup, this JJ was basically new and is failing.
                      The other is a Sino, which came with my '93 AC30, so I'm guessing it's the original.

Comment

Working...
                      X