Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartke 2000 blues :(

Hey guys,
    Came across your forum last night while looking for Hartke 2000 schematics on the web...
    Here's what happened... The other day I couldn't locate my short patch cable to connect amp to the cabinet, so I've improvised... Used two 1/8-1/4 adapters and some homebrew stereo cable. Of course something went wrong and amp overloaded and fuse blew. I've went to the store and got correct cables, however I just couldn't find any 5A fuses around the house, so (I know I know, horrible idea..), used 15A one I've found...

So, here's there result of my "experimentation": Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Can anyone help me identify burned out components?
    Looks like I will need to replace Q309, Q312, and the two exploded resistors, whose designations I can't even read...

Thank you in advance. I hope I can restore this amp. I really like the way it sounds...

Originally posted by distguitar View Post
    Hey guys,
    Came across your forum last night while looking for Hartke 2000 schematics on the web...
    Here's what happened... The other day I couldn't locate my short patch cable to connect amp to the cabinet, so I've improvised... Used two 1/8-1/4 adapters and some homebrew stereo cable. Of course something went wrong and amp overloaded and fuse blew. I've went to the store and got correct cables, however I just couldn't find any 5A fuses around the house, so (I know I know, horrible idea..), used 15A one I've found...

So, here's there result of my "experimentation": Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Can anyone help me identify burned out components?
    Looks like I will need to replace Q309, Q312, and the two exploded resistors, whose designations I can't even read...

Thank you in advance. I hope I can restore this amp. I really like the way it sounds...
    NOT ONLY DID YOU DESTROY YOUR AMPLIFIER,
    You put a bigger fuse in and made it WORSE.
    "destroyed" is a good word since it is probably not worth fixing. It's probably a paper weight.
    Put a bigger fuse in, it melts the transformer windings.
    I hope somebody learned something from this.
    Indecently, DON'T click on links posted in this website, it's a great way to infect your computer.

Comment

Replacment

Hello,
      Worst case scenario you can replace it with something a little more rugged and dependable.CRATE is one of the best engineered and dependable solid state amps on the market today. Just look up the reviews, totally killer amps. There a few more but the 50 watt is the one rated about the best.
      Sorry to hear about your misfortune I've made some mistakes of the same magnitude.

Comment

Oh man.... is there really nothing I can do to repair? No hope at all?

Comment

Yes, there is hope, but it will not be easy. You will probably need to replace more that just the burned parts, because the parts that burned took the place of the fuse that couldn't protect the circuit. I would guess that one or more of the larger output transistors has shorted as well. As for parts values, if you can't find a schematic on the web someone may be able to give you values, or you could try and match the values to the other side of the circuit.

What sorts of skills and equipment do you have. This will not be an easy repair.

Comment

I'm sorry these just explode sometimes.
            And after they do it's one heck of a lot of parts to test and replace.
            Not all the original parts are easily available either.
            So, it's not just the burned parts you can SEE...
            BUT there are several parts that LOOK fine, and are shorted, open, out of tolerance, etc...
            and it turns into a lot of work to repair one when it blows chunks like this

Comment

Short answer: sorry to say so but you are showing yourself as not experienced enough to repair this amp, which is not an easy task.
              Yes, there's certainly *much* more dead than what's visible.
              Can it be repaired?: YES.
              By whom?: by an experienced technician.
              Where do you live? Might suggest somebody.
              Or try to get a good tech on your own.
              Is it worth repairing?
              Personal opinion: yes. Others may think otherwise.
              It's a good, dependable amp.
              It didn't "die", it was killed. Sorry.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
              X