No announcement yet.

Oscillation in 70's Fender Quad Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Solved! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input.
    I spent a lot of time reworking the two long wires to the reverb control and finally settled on shielded wire for each, both grounded at the potentiometer end only. This improved the symptom, now the reverb control had to be turned almost all the way to 10 to start the feedback. I then replaced V4's common cathode bias cap and the feedback completely disappeared. Along the way I did retension the tube socket and reverified all the grounds with an ohmmeter.

Chuck H's photo is right on the money, these mid-70s Fenders with Master Volume are a tangled mass of wire behind the control pots.

Comment

Cool! So, was this one of the Fender Amps that has a pull switch on the master volume? The pull switch connects some of the reverb circuit to make distortion. You can have problems when the switch gets sticky.

Originally posted by telecaster View Post
      Problem Solved! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input.
      I spent a lot of time reworking the two long wires to the reverb control and finally settled on shielded wire for each, both grounded at the potentiometer end only. This improved the symptom, now the reverb control had to be turned almost all the way to 10 to start the feedback. I then replaced V4's common cathode bias cap and the feedback completely disappeared. Along the way I did retension the tube socket and reverified all the grounds with an ohmmeter.

Chuck H's photo is right on the money, these mid-70s Fenders with Master Volume are a tangled mass of wire behind the control pots.

Comment

In fairness, replacing that bypass cap may have fixed the problem without the need to employ shielded leads. But I'm glad it's fixed.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X