Danelectro "Nifty Fifty" no output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danelectro "Nifty Fifty" no output

I'm looking for a little coaching on how to trouble shoot this amp's problem(s).
    It quit working years ago and I kept it around to eventually fix it.

I contacted Danelectro for a schematic. they didn't have one and directed me to a shop that could repair it. Said shop did not have a schematic either and I won't pay for this to be shipped and repaired for more than one can be had on fleabay.

Here's a hint as to why it might not be working: I had the bright idea to plug the headphone output up to another amp. Played it for a little while and decided it didn't really sound good. When you're young ignorant and intoxicated, such flights of fancy happen often.
    When trying to play it a few days later, it just didn't work.

I opened her up and noticed no signs of burning or charring. plugging in and powering up reveals the LED power light comes on and two hidden LED input lights that illuminate when a guitar is strummed.
    could my reckless actions with the headphone jack have fried the power transformer? how would I test this?
    since I cannot find a schematic, are the different colored bands on resistors clues to their value(s)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although not a tuber, this amp was a really neat practice amp and I would like to fix it if possible.

Thanks

The "internal" led's are used as clipping diodes...thats why they only illuminate in the presence of an input signal. If it worked OK before plugging anything into teh headphone jack, squirt some contact cleaner into it and insert/remoce a plug several times. There's shorting contacts inside it that connect teh spkr when nothing is plugged into teh headphone output.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

thanks for the quick reply. Almost forgot to mention, plugged up some headphones.......no sound from them either.

Comment

I believe teh headphone output runs off the output chip amp, so check that.

Comment

OK, I'll try that. what should I be looking for on my DMM?

Comment

With an input signal you should have ac voltage at the input pin on the chip (download the datasheet for the pinout). Input signal will cause a signal at the output. If everythings ok there, verify all wiring/traces to/thru the headphone jack to the speaker.

Comment

Not much doubt in my mind it's the output IC chip if there's no output to the headphones or speaker. The input works as someone pointed out, the LEDs are proving that.
              Get the correct IC and ensure there's some heat sink grease.

Comment

Originally posted by ModdersAnon View Post
                I'm looking for a little coaching on how to trouble shoot this amp's problem(s).
                It quit working years ago and I kept it around to eventually fix it.

I contacted Danelectro for a schematic. they didn't have one and directed me to a shop that could repair it. Said shop did not have a schematic either and I won't pay for this to be shipped and repaired for more than one can be had on fleabay.

Here's a hint as to why it might not be working: I had the bright idea to plug the headphone output up to another amp. Played it for a little while and decided it didn't really sound good. When you're young ignorant and intoxicated, such flights of fancy happen often.
                When trying to play it a few days later, it just didn't work.

I opened her up and noticed no signs of burning or charring. plugging in and powering up reveals the LED power light comes on and two hidden LED input lights that illuminate when a guitar is strummed.
                could my reckless actions with the headphone jack have fried the power transformer? how would I test this?
                since I cannot find a schematic, are the different colored bands on resistors clues to their value(s)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although not a tuber, this amp was a really neat practice amp and I would like to fix it if possible.

Thanks
                You can take guidance while searching google. There is huge information available on application of LED Lights.

Comment

Working...
                X