71 Fender Super

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Fender Super

I haven't been to the forum for awhile. My part-time repair business has slowed down alot. I seem to suffer from a vitamin "C" deficiency: The lack of Cash, Credit, and Customers! Add to that my sporadic Competence and you get the story!

I have this Super back on my bench. I did a bunch of work on it awhile ago. New tube sockets, retainers, filter caps. The tremolo was "clicking" and after some digging around I got that working but now it does this delay thing. You fire the amp up and only after 2 or 3 stomps on the footswitch will the damn thing work. Does anyone have an idea what I'm dealing with here? Could it have something to do with the value of the caps in the circuit? I think instead of 5mf25v I put 5mf50v in. Seems kind of unlikely but......your thoughts folks?

Nope the voltage rating of the cap won't have anything to do with it. Is the trem tube strong? Did you replace the electrolytic bypass cap(s) in the trem?

Comment

I would check the switch itself first!

Comment

Also try a known good tube in V5; if gain is low it may not kick into oscillation reliably.
        Pete.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
          I would check the switch itself first!
          Good idea. Does the trem work without the footswitch? Can't remember if you need the footswitch on that amp. Might need a jumper on the trem jack.

Comment

thanks all for your replies. I'll be checking the tube later this evening. I'll swap it with known good one(s). It's usually a tube - weakest link. BTW yes I did replace the electrolytic by-pass caps - with 5mf50v's. (The ones off of pin 6 and pin 3?) I put a new frog in and replaced a couple of other discreet parts just cause I had some on the shelf and the iron was hot. The amp sounds REALLY good btw, so I'm reasonably happy with my efforts thus far.

Comment

Its the switch.You can try some spray cleaner,but after 40 some yrs of stomping on it,they go.Seen it on many amps,in fact,one of my own Ampegs has the same problem,have a new switch,just havent gotten around to changing it.Its not a "delay thing" the switch is worn.

Comment

Working...
              X