Pulled Coupling Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
    I do not know why you are jamming me I just asked for some advise . . . I have a picture of Hendrix pluged into it To me thats pretty fucken cool... . . .And your nuts if you do not think some amps sound better than others. . . . in the last 3 years I know enough now to find what $1,000.00 guru didn't bother to look for....
    Patientez, as another (1973) Hollywood Bowl performer has been heard to say (Gary Brooker). Re read # 102 onward. Better times are ahead. You've put yourself - and some of us - through the mill with this Bandmaster. Get that new thread started, we'll help you get it sorted out. If you find yourself really and truly in over your head, consider one of the "good" techs. Not to pat myself on the back but I handle this sort of thing all the time, all the time, all the time.
    Attached Files
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
      I have a picture of Hendrix pluged into it To me thats pretty fucken cool...
      Yeah, well you'd be the only one to think a picture of Hendrix plugged into their personal amp was cool. Pffft. Who DOESN'T have one of those?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Well, if that domino cap was the secret, why don't you put it back (or a new one) and call it a day?
        Instant bliss for less than $5.

Besides bashing Gerald Weber (based on your word only I might add) this thread has served no useful purpose.

You don't have the amp you want, have not the slightest idea about how to get that, even worse you have no clue about what you want.

All this told by yourself in different threads.

We have learnt nothing useful, by the way, so this thread must rate as one of the most useless ones in MEF history.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Maybe life doesn't need to be effective or purposeful ALL THE TIME.?. And we are at a point where Bob can start fixing and tweaking on his own. It's been a long time coming and I, for one, will embrace it as progress toward a justified end.

I must concede though that if Juan is irked by something it DOES put up a flag. Here's a man who has developed so many diverse industry specific talents and experience that if HE thinks time is being wasted, I'm not immune to the suggestion.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Maybe life doesn't need to be effective or purposeful ALL THE TIME.?. And we are at a point where Bob can start fixing and tweaking on his own. It's been a long time coming and I, for one, will embrace it as progress toward a justified end.

I must concede though that if Juan is irked by something it DOES put up a flag. Here's a man who has developed so many diverse industry specific talents and experience that if HE thinks time is being wasted, I'm not immune to the suggestion.
            Even if nothing gets done, you will all have to admit, it's been an interesting read!
            Peace and Tone,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

• I've been amused. ....and still think the Doors actually used those awful SS Standel amps at the Hollywood Bowl in 1968.

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                We have learnt nothing useful, by the way, so this thread must rate as one of the most useless ones in MEF history.
                Think of this thread as a long-running shaggy dog story "What NOT to do with an amp you want fixed."

NOW can we get on to the next chapter, puh-leeeze?

Comment

• I am sorry for the OP who only believed what he was told by the mojo gurus and went on a mojo quest. But I really feel for Juan because like most repairers I have been in the same place so often with mojo-hunting customers and their 'tonal issues'. The metal guitarist who says his amp loses all its treble after the first hour every gig is only the tip of the iceberg. It is frustrating to have to explain that I am doing them a favour by not taking on their non-broken amp and pretending to make it browner and creamier. They tend to conclude that I am a humbler sort of technician than the mojo merchants, well ok I can live with that.

Comment

• 'says his amp loses all its treble after the first hour every gig'
                    That's such a common complaint.
                    I put it down to the speaker getting hot (causing the voicecoil resistance to increase) - tell them to try a touch test on the speaker magnet (tricky if closed back).
                    Pete
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

• Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                      'says his amp loses all its treble after the first hour every gig'
                      That's such a common complaint.
                      I thought it was a tongue in cheek comment about hearing fatigue.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• I've often done Pete's "touch test" and noticed the magnets on my speakers to be worryingly hot after a rehearsal or gig, but I never noticed a major loss of treble. I think the difference is that I'm not in a metal band so the stage volume is less and I don't suffer quite as much temporary hearing loss.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Guys also mention that the bottom end goes flabby etc towards the end of a gig.
                          Obviously there's the hearing level shift / compression / ear fatigue going on but many musos are tuned in to that and it's only fair to consider the potential for real physical effects.
                          So yes, changes to copper resistance with temperature, most notably to the speaker voice coil but also to the OT windings, may play a role in this.
                          I wondered if it may be explained by there being an increase in the ESR of decoupling caps with temperature but F&T advised that it should actually reduce a little.

'I've often done Pete's "touch test" and noticed the magnets on my speakers to be worryingly hot after a rehearsal or gig, but I never noticed a major loss of treble'
                          Does your EVM12L heat up as much as other speakers?
                          Perhaps even if the magnet does, the ventilation for the voicecoil will mitigate.
                          Pete
                          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

• I wrap a potato in foil and toss it into the back of my combo amp. That way I can have a hot snack at break. Pass the bacon bits, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              I wrap a potato in foil and toss it into the back of my combo amp. That way I can have a hot snack at break. Pass the bacon bits, please.
                              What,............no cheese?
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                                What,............no cheese?
                                Yeah, in my amp, I put my sox back there to dry. Good Parmesan effect.

True story - "fixed" a speaker by shaking out a very dusty Ruffles potato chip stuck between frame and cone. Talk about a happy customer!

Can't say I've ever found a speaker magnet heating unless jam up to the tubes.

I'd attribute the "loss of highs" to ear fatigue without a doubt. Not only from what's coming out of the amp, but cymbals, screaming vocal monitors, howling crowds. Also alcohol - just one drink will make a change. It's an anesthetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X