Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair folks: what transistors do you keep on-hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair folks: what transistors do you keep on-hand?

A while back I started doing some amp repair work on the side. Not geting rich off of this by any means, but I'm picking up a little spending money. Guitar amps and old stereo stuff.

In my area though, other than Rat Shack, there are no electronic parts houses any more. Now I could order stuff from Mouser or Digikey or whoever, but when I only need a single 50 cent transistor?? (For example, right now I need a single 2SD400)

The other stuff--caps, diodes, resistors,whatnot--I've got a decent stash to draw from, and a small stash of 4558 and NE5532 op-amps and some 3-legged voltage regs.

But what transistors would be beneficial to keep on hand? I've got some 2222's, some 2N3055's, some 2N2907's and some BC107's but not a whole lot of others. (I like RG Keen's advice, its better to sub a generic transistor than to wait on some unobtainable obscure part to arrive from lower Elbonia.)

What do you guys keep? Thanks!

Look through the Music Electronics section, we have discussed this very topic.

Interesting that the ones you have on hand are for very old amps.

What do I stock?
    MJ15024 and MJ15025 for high power. I also stock MJ15003. That covers most Peavey repairs and the majority of TO3 needs..

Fender and Crate use the TIP142 and TIP147 pair a lot. And Marshall in their Valvestates used to use these BDV64 and 65 types - well, TIP142/147 drop right in their place. TIP142/147 come in several sizes, DO NOT get the smaller TO220, TO218 is the common size.

I stock a number of other power transistors in larger sized (TO247), but really, unless you fix PA amps or things like Hartke modules, wait til you need them.

Having a few TIP41 and TIP42 as general purpose TO220s can't hurt. I like to keep a few MJE15032 in stock for cathode driven tube amps like Music Man and some PVs. 8A 250v NPN

The little half-round ones are TO92 types. There are a million of them. You can find similar parts in the Asian series, the American series, and the BD series. A 2N4401 and a 2SC945 might be interchangable, but the parts have different leg order. SO I stock a selection of both 2S types and 2N types (which includes the MPS series) I stock a few common BD ones, but I use them for specific repairs, I don;t use them generically. Nothing against them, I am just not as familiar.

MPSA92 and MPSA42 are 300v 0.5A types useful for higher voltage use.
    MPSA06 and MPSA56 are lower voltage general use types.
    2N3904 and 2N3906 - can't go wrong having those around, they are a sort of standard low voltage experimenters part (40v 200ma) And cheap. MOuser sells them for as low as 2 cents

A word about volume purchase. You don't have to be General Motors or IBM to buy in quantities. Look up 2N3904 in MOuser, I can scroll down and see one selling for 12 cents each. That's cheap, but look at 25 lot, if you get 25 of them, it drops to 5 cents each, and below that, if I buy 100, i get them for 1.9 cents. So I can but 10 for $1.20, or I can buy 25 for $1.25, or 100 of them for $1.90. Now I like 2N4401 a lot too and various others, but in general, turning on an LED doesn't much matter what you use, so I might consider bulking up on fewer types. PArts often have price breaks at 10 or 25 pieces. SOme as low as 5 pieces.

There may be specific transistors that would be good to stock. I used to do a lot of QSC repair, and there were certain tansistors I used all the time. Now I do less of that, but those transistors still are useful as subs. SO I stock a bunch of those TIP142 and 147 I mentioned, but a HIFI repair shop up the street might never use them.

Depending on whatyou service, having a few TDA7293 and some LM3886 might be a good idea. Smaller practice amps might use the TDA2040 or 2050.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you, this was VERY helpful!

and yes everything I'm working on is old...like me....

Comment

Working...
      X