Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D. Boyden amp (did one of you guys build this?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D. Boyden amp (did one of you guys build this?)

Somebody dropped this off today with a severe hum problem. They said it was a high end boutique amp from Austin -- but it is an unpleasant mess to work on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mess.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	866719

6L6 under there? Now that's funny.

Comment

Is that thing tube rectified ? If so that 1-st cap should be lowered to under at least 33uf and could be a main source of hum however from the looks it seems there couled be many more issues.
      KB

Comment

Originally posted by Amp Kat View Post
        Is that thing tube rectified ? If so that 1-st cap should be lowered to under at least 33uf and could be a main source of hum however from the looks it seems there couled be many more issues.
        Yeah, in the picture you're looking at 2 6L6s and a rectifier. The first cap is 47||47, but there are other issues, as you say.

Also I found out its not from Austin -- it was made by "D. Boyden" of Pensacola.

Comment

Well, I don't think it's a total hack job! But it's less than good. It's nothing anyone here would sell. I'm almost sure of that. Looks like a lot of bundle and daisy chain on the grounding. With a PTP it's really a PITA but you could start there.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Well, I don't think it's a total hack job! But it's less than good...
            Here's another of Mr. Boyden's innovations (same amp)... mount the power transformer so that the most dangerous voltages in the amp (1.8kV peak-to-peak) are easily accessible:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	transfront.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	826799Click image for larger version

Name:	transback.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	826800

Comment

Holy $h!t

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Wow! Bad or difficult to deal with layout is one thing, but that's just asking for disaster.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Wow, that thing's a real piece of work... look's like it definitely has the potential to be a hum monster.
                  http://www.facebook.com/abbottamps

Comment

Even though some builders like to facilitate ease of assembly with terminal strips (which is usually a layout nightmare anyway) that power tranny mount is an unforgivable corner cut. The grounds are bundled and daisy chained and the whole mess is just an utter embarrassment. This is NOT a "boutique" amp. This is built by hand in the quickest/easiest way possible with several errors in ideology along the way. I'd take any modern PCB amp over that turd any day of the week. Whatever rep this builder has established is questionable and whatever they're charging for their product is too much. These shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

Comment

appears to be this guy:

Boyden Amps

Guitars: Killer V by Boyden Amplifiers | Harmony Central

Comment

"Killer" indeed. Just wait until someone goes grab assing under the chassis for some reason while the amps on! And who has the nerve to title their own work "Killer" in any regard? I think I'll change my name to "Super Cool" or "Mr. Awesome Guy".

Comment

Originally posted by woodyc View Post
                          Here's another of Mr. Boyden's innovations (same amp)... mount the power transformer so that the most dangerous voltages in the amp (1.8kV peak-to-peak) are easily accessible:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20059[/ATTACH]
                          That's just stupid (and plain lazy). I mean - is making a proper Z-mount PT hole in the chassis so hard?
                          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                            That's just stupid (and plain lazy). I mean - is making a proper Z-mount PT hole in the chassis so hard?
                            I guess it is when you build by hand and sell a 100W amp head for $1400. So make the hole how it needs to be made and charge $1450. You just can't skimp on the safety issues. This guy is obviously operating as "overlooked" and "under the radar". But that's no excuse to endanger people! So is anyone here willing to snitch this dufus off? Probably not.

Comment

If it were me, I'd mount the PT properly (and lay the amp out better all round) and sell it for $1350
                              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                              X