Help to identify amp components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify amp components?

Can someone tell me what are the components marked with a ? in the attached P1010565.jpg file ? are this the coupling caps?

The blue caps the cathode caps?

What components should i replace to get a improvement in the sound and more tone from the amp?
    The coupling caps should i use a particular brand and material to get more tone resuslts? and for the cathode caps are the best choise the stock electrolitcs?

In the picture P1010551 (2).jpg, i think that i have the tone stack, right? also what brand and material will i get more tone results, silver mic are good choise?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Those are odd. Do they say anything on the sides? Look like film capacitors but not sure. After looking at the schem I think that they are indeed the coupling caps. The blue caps are electrolytic caps, and are probably the cathode bypass caps.

What tone does it have, and how would you like to change it? That's the real question. IMO you're not going to hear any improvement by simply changing these for a different type.

Comment

The big square ones look like film capacitors - I'm guessing that they are made by Kemet? If you must, go ahead and change them but I bet it doesn't make a difference.

Comment

They look like boxed metal. film caps with 10% tolerance ("K" = 10%).

Comment

Rod - I believe they are the 47nF coupling caps C1, C6 and C17. I'm with the others, changing type generally has a minor effect on tone. You will achieve more by changing values.

I'm guessing from your question, and please forgive me if I'm wrong, that you haven't got a lot of knowledge of electronics. These things can kill so you might want to reconsider doing this this project yourself.

If you do go ahead, a good place to start would be the tone stack. Do a search for 'tone stack calculator' will get you software tools to help pick component values and articles on how they work.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
          X