Bandmaster noise issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandmaster noise issue

My SF Bandmaster is pretty noisy. This is not a problem for live situations since you don't really notice.

But I would like to use the amp in the studio as well. I already disconnected the vibrato function. But still have hiss in both channels. Any ideas ? Will metallfilm resistors in the preamp section help maybe?

Old carbon comps may get noisy with age. The problem is most evident in high series resistance and high voltage applications. I would say replace your preamp plate load resistors, the channel mixing resistors and, if it's a reverb model, that 3.3M series resistor in the reverb channel with 1Wmf types. It won't hurt anything and you don't know if it will help until you try.

BTW, I posted on another thread you started about a similar matter. I didn't know this was a vintage amp or that CC resistors were involved. It is true that CC resistors can be noisy.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks. Should I try metallfilm resistors at those places?

Comment

The 470 ohm resistors on the power tube sockets is a good place to start and a common source of problems on Fenders because they are exposed to a lot of heat.

I would also double-check the four shorting jacks for the inputs. Clean the contacts with a burnishing tool and make sure they make good contact.

Comment

I am using Channel 1 now and removed the tube in channel 2. This should totall disconnect the reverb circuit. This hiss is pretty much gone that way. Just a little bit is left.

Comment

Working...
          X