Suggestions Wanted For 9v Batteries That Won't Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions Wanted For 9v Batteries That Won't Leak

Getting a little tired of cleaning up after chinese made never readys, any suggestions for a leak proof quality battery?

Originally posted by Jecarroll7 View Post
    Getting a little tired of cleaning up after chinese made never readys, any suggestions for a leak proof quality battery?
    Biggest problem I've had with leaking batteries, is hot Vehicles.
    If you can keep them cool it helps.
    I've had good luck with the eveready energizer alkaline batteries.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Perhaps removing them from the gear when not in use? I tend to use Duracell Procells - their industrial brand - simply because I can buy them at the local university salvage/surplus for very cheap. But I also have bought cheap Panasonic batteries at the dollar stores for years. And for that matter the non-name-brand generics from the same source. I have not had leaking batteries from any of them. The last few leaky batteries I have encountered have all been USA made older cells found still in gear. My personal experience has been that batteries usually only leak when they are left in something after they have given up all they can. I often have OD pedal customers come in with dead batteries. I tell them they need to remove the dead batteries. They ALWAYS respond by telling me "Oh, it's OK, I always use the power adaptor." NO it isn't. those dead cells will leak into your stuff and corrode it away. I have to have the same conversation with keyboard owners whose units have batteries inside.

Used to be many things, like keyboards, had batteries inside for memory retention, used to be NiCads. The later lithium cells tended not to leak as much. But the NiCads sure did. The NiCad spooge was kinda clear, but was also conductive, so you needed to clear it off the board. We found a cleaning product called Lime-Away did a pretty good job of fizzing the battery goo off the board, then follow up with warm water.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I use a different approach to solve the problem you have. Instead of looking for batteries that won't leak, I use a simple circuit that shows when battery voltage is below e.g. 8V. The LED in the circuit starts blinking in this case. It draws only 30uA (yes, microampers) so it can be permanently connected to a battery. When the battery voltage is above the threshold, it draws even less current. With an old battery it will blink several months - until the owner notices the problem .
        The board is about 10x20mm so it can be put almost everywhere. I often put it in active basses/guitars.

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	827100

Comment

Cool idea!

Comment

Mark, what is the circuit?
            Thanks - Pete
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I cannot give you all the details but it's easy to guess that this is a comparator (with some special features). The external dimensions are 20x15x10 mm. See the attachment.

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	bm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	827682

Comment

Examples:
                Paul In The Lab: Low Battery Indicator ( 9v ) Stripboard Veroboard Layout
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Solve a different problem.

Go to Home Depot and buy a drill-driver with a Lithium-ion battery pack in the 12V denomination. Take this home and cut off the handle of the drill/driver to use the base/handle of the drill for a socket for the battery pack. Figure out how to mount it in your pedalboard so the battery is easy to plug/unplug. Build a small circuit board containing one or more 7809 regulators to power the pedals from the battery pack. The capacity of the battery pack should run the pedalboard semi-forever. If you need on-the-stage power changeouts, use a second battery pack and the charger which was included with the drill/driver.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

That link reminds me of Forrest Mimms

Comment

Working...
                    X