Gallien Krueger 700RB intermittent protection mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallien Krueger 700RB intermittent protection mode

Hi, I'm new here, but have been checking out the forum for a while and everyone here is great. So here's my problem: I'm trying to fix a friend's GK 700RB that intermittently goes in and out of protection mode. It plays fine at low volume, but when its turned up to stage volume it goes into protect. I've read similar threads here and elsewhere that cover some of this, but I have more issues.
    -First, does anyone have the schematic? i had it and lost it, and its hard to find.
    -Second, I need a replacement for Q26, which is a 2sc3478 NPN. I've looked everywhere, including a link from the gear page: 200V .05A .75W Ecb Nec Transistor TO-92 | NEC | Distributed By MCM. The symbol shows this as a PNP instead of an NPN. Is that a misprint? Also, if I wanted to use a different transistor, which specs do I need/not need with the 2sc3478 that I may find in a replacement or even possible upgrade? What is the purpose/function of Q26?
    Sorry for all the questions, but you guys know your stuff and I could use some advice. Also, I've read quite a few posts from Enzo, and that guy is some kind of genius! I'm hoping he'll chime in as well. Thanks everyone.

They just used a transistor symbol for transistor. I don;t think it is there to imply that particular transistor is a PNP. The transistor is a NPN type.

Call GK and ask for the schematic. Make sure to have the correct and complete model name. Is it a 700RB or a 700RB-II for example. And have the serial number ready in case they ask.

Enzo is not a genius, ask his wife. Enzo is just a professional troubleshooter trying to share a systematic approach to things.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah Enzo is right that picture is the generic picture and not there to reference NPN or PNP type.

KRUEGER700RB.pdf
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
        Yeah Enzo is right that picture is the generic picture and not there to reference NPN or PNP type.

[ATTACH]20585[/ATTACH]
        The right part is 2SC347B. It is ordinary NPN transistor.

You can use the BC639 as a replacement.

Be careful regarding transistor's pin arrangement.

Hi Enzo,

Wife’s answer depends strongly on who asks.
        If this is you, then you is not genius at all. If someone else, then you are doubtless genius.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X