Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing Mesa footswitch switches?

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a source for Mesa switches. I really like these switches and would like to use them on an upcoming project.

The little stubby ones on the left four switches. does anyone know the manufacturer? are they 2pdt or 3pdt. I really need 3pdt.
    I have done a fair bit of searching with no results.

Thanks

There are many shops that sell such switches. Check for example here: Pushbutton / Footswitches :: Switches :: Electromechanical :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

Mark

Comment

I don't know the unit, but make sure they are actual switches. I forget who now, Line 6 maybe, but the unit I have in mind has nice chrome stomp switches, but if you look underneath, they are just spring loaded metal push things, under them are plain old little pc mount square tactile switches.

Further, a lot of that sort of thing has a controller circuit, so the stomp switches are just spst momentary push switches. The logic circuitry takes care of latching on and controlling multiple circuits. To someone like fender or Peavey or Mesa it is a lot cheaper to mount a simple push button and have it control a few ICs that to mount an expensive 3PDT stomp switch. Plus that 3PDT stomper probably would require multiwire cable back to the amp.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

those switches are momentary contact push buttons.
        They do not hold contact closure.

How come only 'old timer' knows that?

The push button sends a pulse to a logic gate. The logic circuit holds the contacts, not the button.

You young whippersnappers need to get caught up...
        Last edited by soundguruman; 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Its line 6 that uses the SMT tact switches on the foot controllers. Ultra cheesy....works...for a while.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

That's why they switch so easily with no audible "click" I really like the action, you just tap it and it switches.
            thanks for the answer. I was unable to find a picture of one separated from the footswitch housing or even a picture of the guts of a Mesa footswitch.

Will be using plain jane 3pdt switches

could those Mesa switches be used with a relay for switching. Wouldn't using a relay rule out the "true bypass"
            it would be a pedal board switcher
            Last edited by ModdersAnon; 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

A relay is nothing more than a switch with an electronic actuator. The circuit has no idea how the switch is flipped. A toggle switch or a relay are the same to the circuit.

Momentary switches that "latch" are controlling some sort of logic circuit. It could be relays, it could be digital logic, it could be a number of things.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                those switches are momentary contact push buttons.
                They do not hold contact closure.

How come only 'old timer' knows that?
                Here is a description of the FU-3 footswitch:
                "The first four footswitches are momentary contact footswitches. The final two footswitches are latching footswitches. The first four footswitches act like radio buttons - stepping on any one of them deactivates the other three. The final two switches will not turn off until you step on them for a second time."
                So some of them are momentary and other are latching. This is also visible on the photo in the first post. How come 'old timers' don't know that?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X