Valvestate 8040 neg vdc on output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvestate 8040 neg vdc on output

I started repairing this amp by changing out the 12ax7 that was cooking the heater resistors. Everything fine except a slew of bad pots, so I ordered direct replacements & installed and put the pcb back in the chassis, ground wire connected to chassis, dummy load connected.

All of a sudden, the power amp chip TDA 1514 started cooking, so I flipped the variac off, but the damage had been done-obvious crack appeared on the chip's top.

Ordered some replacements from Dalbani and installed one. Now I have -23vdc on the output (pin 5) and -13vdc on the input (pin 1) as well as -23vdc on the tied together pins 2&3. The +/- rails are 23vdc/-23vdc. I checked thoroughly for loose connections, none found. Checked ZD3, the 6.8v zener, good. Replaced it with a 6.2v (all I could find today)...no change. Haven't put a different TDA chip in yet, but I'm curious why there's -13v on the input, and neg vdc on the output, of course. Dummy load is disconnected, of course till I can remove the dc on the output.

Anyone have any ideas?

Pull the TDA1514.
    Remove dummy load
    Measure the resistance from pin 5 to 0v: should be about 23K - if not find out why.
    Power up and check all the pads of TDA1514, 1=0, 2 & 3= -17V, 4= -23V, 5 = 0V, 6=+23V, 7=+23V, 8 = 0V. If not right, find out why.
    Replace TDA1514 making sure you have it in the correct way round - metal tab goes to heatsink. Don't connect dummy load. Connect meter pin 5 to 0v and slowly bring up power with variac. I would expect the meter to read close to 0 at all times. Only other thing I can think of is the mute circuit on pins 2 &3 not operating resulting in a DC transient level on the output. If no transient and you have 0 on the meter at full volts then you should be good to go.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Thanks for your help Nickb. With pulled TDA, I initially have +12vdc on pin 5 on pwr up. When I power down the voltage slowly drops to -12vdc, then slowly climbs back to zero. All other pin voltages are as you stated.

The resistance between pin 5 pad & circuit gnd is around 1meg. Why should it be 23k?

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      Pull the TDA1514.
      Remove dummy load
      Measure the resistance from pin 5 to 0v: should be about 23K - if not find out why.
      Power up and check all the pads of TDA1514, 1=0, 2 & 3= -17V, 4= -23V, 5 = 0V, 6=+23V, 7=+23V, 8 = 0V. If not right, find out why.
      Replace TDA1514 making sure you have it in the correct way round - metal tab goes to heatsink. Don't connect dummy load. Connect meter pin 5 to 0v and slowly bring up power with variac. I would expect the meter to read close to 0 at all times. Only other thing I can think of is the mute circuit on pins 2 &3 not operating resulting in a DC transient level on the output. If no transient and you have 0 on the meter at full volts then you should be good to go.

Comment

With the IC removed, the only path to ground from pin5 is through the two resistors that make the line out from the speaker signal. I can't read them, but I'll assume they add up to that amount.

WHile you in there, check just to the right of the pin 5 on the drawing, dropping down to ground are R66 and C54 (if I read right). Make sure 10 ohm R66 is not open. Those parts are your stability network, and without them, the IC can oscillate to death.

Pin 5 starts out with +12v because of that cap just above it. As it charges, teh voltage drops back to normal.. The question is, does that 12v get down to about zero volotage after a bit. When you power down, the charge on that cap slowly ebbs away, and that is why you get the -12v.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by T9c View Post
          The resistance between pin 5 pad & circuit gnd is around 1meg. Why should it be 23k?
          I believe Nick is refering to the line out series resistors. R36 & R37. (41K)

Comment

Thanks Enzo. Yes, pin 5 does get stable to ~100mv after 30-45 secs. The 10 ohm 1/2w is good, checked it 1st as it's a little browned from previous heating...I went ahead and replaced it with a flameproof 10 ohm.

Comment

Working...
            X